What next?

So I will be finished up soon with CPL MECIR and while looking for work I'll have to keep an amount of currency and have a few ideas on what to do to make it the most productive, thoughts are

Command night hours

Command IMC

Areo rating

Barron or the like endorsement

210 time

Can't do the lot so what do you guys think would be the most beneficial?

Guest Howard Hughes

Number 5 will help you get a job, while numbers 4, 2 & 1 will help you advance once you get a start.

My suggestion would be to head North as quick as you can, don't worry about when is the right time to be there, as the right time is NOW! When I worked in Darwin/Kakadu people got starts all through the year. When you get there (even before) network as much as possible as most first jobs are obtained by word of mouth.

Well that is the plan at the moment, head back to Cairns next month and have a go there for work ( while getting back on my feet finically after not working all year) and if that doesn't work do some day/ weekend trips and then around Xmas or just after new year head over. But that will be 2 or so months from when I get back so need to keep busy. Anywhere in particular that you would head HH or just the usuals?

Guest Howard Hughes

I got my start in Kakadu, not many operators, but they are always putting people on. Helps if you have any other skills bus driving, tour guiding, etc...

• 2 years later...

If you are interested in crop dusting, pipeline or powerline patrol, or any kind of low level work, Safe Maneuvering Flight Techniques should be of interest to you. I will attach it.

SAFE MANEUVERING FLIGHT TECHNIQUES PDF.pdf