Video: Drifter Touch and go

Samuel117

Thanks for the video Samuel! Always keen to see Drifter videos.

Now I am no instructor and YMMV but once I am in the circuit or joining (overhead or otherwise) I set my circuit up so that I have glide to the airfield at all times, just as a matter of habit and safety.

At least from mid down wind...I continually ask myself the question "if the fan stops can I make the airfield?" I still have a spot picked (usually short) on the strip and aim for it.

Quite frankly if I was high, I quite enjoyed slipping in to lose height and hit the spot, which is a good skill to maintain IMHO.

Thanks again!

• Agree 2

Hi Tex, I can see your point. I will adjust the circuit to make it tighter, even with plenty of possible forced landing spots there is nothing like the soft grass of your home base airfield. I am just getting used to the airplane and still faster than I need to be on down wind, base leg and final. to be honest the airplane seems to love 5o. If I slow down more on down wind while keeping the same altitude like to 45 or slower it shakes a bit and man it reminds me so much an impending stall that I trained myself to avoid while flying on Cessna 172s!

I have noticed that when I cut the power it glides so beautiful and smooth down to touch down without the dirty air off the propeller and then she floats like a kite. At altitude I have done slow flight and tried stalls and It starts mushing at 36 with a nice break at 34-32 so nice and with the wings level. I need more time with the airplane I suppose and then when I get over with the worries about the "Drifter's essential tremors" I will stop shaking myself at slow speed and that maybe will solve the issue.

Thank you again for your advise. It is welcome anytime.

Sam.101_thank_you.gif.0bf9113ab8c9fe9c7ebb42709fda3359.gif

• Like 1

Your welcome Sam.

OK I have deleted some of what I just wrote because I recall you have flaps, so what I wrote was completely irrelevant

Try going to idle on mid down wind and not using power until the touch and go (though test your throttle and engine response on final in case you need it in a hurry!) WATCH YOUR SPEED IN THE TURNS.

Get out of the 'GA' circuit mentality... learn glide approaches (if you were in a 582 then more throttle work is required to keep the oil flowing and engine at temp.)

012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif