Microair760

Seeking help,

My microair760 is causing me grief, fairly often I get annoying squelch that requires rotating squelch control to near on maximum setting, to remove that noise.

This problem is random, also at this time, the interference still has micro bursts, after I have reset squelch control.

So........what,s the go here

Russ

Russ, had the same problem on 1 of the machines i reassembled, had me scatching head for a long time until i found, the owner had tied the aerial cable to the front light power wire, same thing only every now and again until one day we were flying and i turned on the light as other AC came into the circuit, and the radio went crazy.

So check all the wires and where they run, and try turning off everything to see if the radio behaves normally, i personally would leave the big fan on though :)

I presume the radio is working fine otherwise? good transmit and recieve?

• 1 month later...

I've been fighting a noise for years, Cannot be squelched out. I found out from the manufacturer that my/his flow meter was causing it. even with the engine off. As soon as I powered up the dash the noise would sometimes come on, sometimes not. Turns out that I can cover up a little hole that has a sensor in it for the backlight.....Fixed......Just goes to show, could be anything.

Russ,

What you really need to do is, if you have electronic gauges or EFIS, is turning the lot off and bringing each one on in turn and checking the radio. You'll find that one or more will unsquelch the radio. Deal with the instrument in question with a ferrite ring on at least the power wires. Unfortunately the EFIS and electronic gauges generate noise as they are microprocessor controlled. I've got this radio and have used a split ferrite ring on the wiring from each instrument and on the radio wiring. Mine seems ok. If you don't have any electronic instruments I'd do the same with the alternator.

Paul

Thanks....I,m overnighting here at Dingo, then to Wondai ( near kingaroy )

So far this trip, the radio has performed perfectly......got me stuffed.

Query....Fitting those ferrit things.....is there any negative response overall in the hole jab electrics / comms etc etc. .......every action has a reaction....

Info.....any guys chasing avgas at charters towers...........got none. Due in a couple of days.

Hi Russ,

Apart from the physical aspect of trying to get wires in the split ferrite, there's no problem. Ideally if there's slack enough, you need to try to wind at least one turn through the ferrite, but clamping one on will stop noise coming out of an instrument or noise going into a radio if you put it on the radio wiring. I'd try to find out which instrument or device is causing the problem, but brute force (i.e. doing everything) won't hurt.

Paul

• 5 months later...

Mine started doing the same( noisey and constant adjustment ) then it failed and had to be replaced.

The new radio does not like my head sets, I can only use. Bose sets , so my light speeds sit in the cupboard.

So my suggestion is to try different head sets.