Thought this article has implications that could relate to our own flying..?"

River

Opinion: Land The Damn Helicopter

By Matt Zuccaro

Matt Zuccaro is the president of the Helicopter Association International.

February 26, 2014

So how was your day? Mine was not that great, I spent it reading NTSB helicopter accident reports. I don’t know about you but my level of frustration is at an all-time high.

One thing remains constant, no one has yet invented a new way to crash helicopters. The reports seem to repeat the same contributing/causation factors such as fuel exhaustion, continued flight into marginal weather resulting in inadvertent flight under instrument meteorological conditions (IMC) with subsequent loss of control, and in the minority of accidents, mechanical failures. Of note is a new factor appearing more and more in the accident reports — pilots who are under the influence of either prescription and over the counter medications with no reporting to the FAA.

In many accidents, there is prior knowledge that things are not well. With fuel exhaustion, most pilots are definitely aware that their fuel status is of serious concern resulting in uncertainty of the ability in reaching a fueling point. In weather-related incidents, we continue to see scenarios with pilots continuing on in less-than-desired weather conditions with difficulty maintaining visual flight rules (VFR). With regard to mechanical related situations, the pilot gets alerts from warning systems, and can hear or feel abnormal noises or vibrations. In potential medical incapacitation events, the pilot is aware of their substandard performance and diminished abilities in most cases.

With the above in mind and assuming an acceptable landing site is available, why don’t pilots exercise one of the most valuable capabilities of vertical flight, the ability to land anywhere? We already do this on a routine basis. We land on oil rigs and offshore platforms, at private residences, on corporate campuses, building rooftops, mountaintops and anywhere else we can safely operate.

So why don’t pilots who are faced with challenging environments and situations just land the damn helicopter? In a high percentage of accidents, this simple act would have broken the chain of events and prevented untold accidents.

I once had the unique opportunity to speak to a pilot who had survived such an accident, and queried him regarding his decision-making during this event and the possibility of making a precautionary landing as an option. He indicated he had not given it direct consideration and instead prioritized getting to the intended destination and mission completion.

In the past, he had given more thought to the scrutiny he would face if he did make a precautionary landing. Actually, I was not that surprised by his concerns since, in my early days of flying, I at times pondered the same issues. Luckily, not anymore.

Pilots normally associate precautionary landings with the local police showing up, their company incurring logistical and legal costs as well as being upset with the pilot, angry passengers who might not fly with that pilot or company again, the FAA wanting an explanation so they can start enforcement action, the press asking questions and writing a negative story and the scrutiny of other pilots.

Yes, these are all possibilities, but think about the reality of the situation, the decision-making going on and other options available. Option one: focus on the situation and safety concerns, make the precautionary landing, prevent the accident and have confidence that once you explain your decision making, all those you were concerned about will support your actions. Option two: don’t make the precautionary landing, kill everyone on the aircraft and maybe some on the ground. Call me crazy, but this seems like a no-brainer.

Obviously, the primary goal is to not get yourself into this situation in the first place. However last time I checked, none of us is perfect. If you have been flying any appreciable length of time you have found yourself in one of these situations before.

Accordingly, when a pilot makes a precautionary landing in the interest of safety, the industry and authorities have to recognize such landings as a normal practice and in the best interest of developing and maintaining a positive safety culture. This is a good thing.

The bottom line is, when appropriate, “Land and live.”

-end-

080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif violin.gif.c5b75ad61908a9873d5843b614c5c79e.gif

• Agree 1

I think sometimes the "authorities" are a bit questionable. I can relate an incident that occurred whilst on a helicopter maintenance test flight for main rotor smoothing (a vibe run). The vibes were particularly bad and the test pilot's flight bag vibrated onto it's side. The contents, ersa and much other bits considered necessary by authorities for a test flight within a 5 mile radius, then fell all around the tail rotor pedals. After a bit of trying to pick up the bits, with the pilot having completely slacked off his harness and trying to reach the far floor on the front of a 206 (Iw as in the back with the test equipment) and meandering all over the sky while he did so, he gave in and landed in a local paddock, while I got out and picked up the bits from the floor. His concern at the time was that if he landed, it would mean an "asor" ( aircraft safety occurrence report) against him.

I would like to think that a pilot wouldn't have to think twice about landing anywhere he felt necessary without unnecessary retribution, but somehow the fear of retribution is quite real, and so is the retribution.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Fear of getting in the $hit is definitely a factor. A lot of people don't go round when they should because of the paperwork and having to front up and be grilled over why same with on time departures being the GOD.. A helicopter definitely has an advantage over a fixed wing aircraft for outlandings I would think. Nev

Fear of getting in the $hit is definitely a factor. A lot of people don't go round when they should because of the paperwork and having to front up and be grilled over why same with on time departures being the GOD.. A helicopter definitely has an advantage over a fixed wing aircraft for outlandings I would think. Nev

Avoiding all the suggested issues is just human nature I guess. Amazing that chopper pilots exhibit the same reactions as fixed wingers though. The #1 choice in any aircraft should be a diversion to a safe airstrip or airport - long before you have to actually make a precautionary search & landing on perhaps a not so flash paddock, road, beach etc. To achieve this you can elect to carry 'alternate' fuel of say, 30-60 mins. I'd sooner be sitting in a nice weatherproof 'terminal' building - than in a soggy paddock, or flying around in marginal wx with low fuel.

happy days,

• Agree 1