Rotax Starting Woes

PaulN

I vaguely remember a story written by a Canadian pilot who usually started her day and eventually her aircraft by placing a large oil burning space heater under the nose of her aircraft in the hanger until it was thoroughly warmed up.

For that particular day, the flight described was very short and disastrous.

If a heat source like a paint stripper or a fan heater were to be used, I would suggest it be underneath the engine where the air when cruising usually comes out.

The fan heater or paint stripper could even be sitting on the floor as long as the rising hot air got into the engine compartment.

I have also heard, second hand, of early 2.2 Jabiru motors with inadequate batteries or the smaller starter motors being pre-warmed by having a jug full of boiling water poured over their cylinder barrels of what you can see.

Maybe you could take a large thermos flask of hot water for the motor for the morning starts.

Jabiru have recommendations for different oil grade for colder weather as I would assume the other engine manufacturers also would do.

Regards

Surely its not that cold in NSW? These engines were designed in snow country - i'm sure if you follow the SB checks something will show up. The battery is probably fine for the job as a starter motor only draws 80 amps its not like the jabiru (theres no substitite for cubic inches) which needs a 16 AH battery.

The friends problem and cures I refered earlier have been sent to the CAA (at the request of one of their field reps who was there at the time) and RAANZ so you should be able to read about it first hand - in case I missed some detail.

I recall checking of the gearbox preload was done by removing a bolt on the side of the gearbox and threading in a locking pin then pulling the prop thru with weighing scales. it only took 5 mins.

If You download the gearbox parts list you can see that depending on model it will have a dog type torsional vibration dampening assembly (15 deg or 30 deg) and may have a prop overload clutch as well.

Ralph

Just a tip to offer here. if you don't have the provision to preheat for whatever reason you can try this. drain the oil and remove battery and take them home/motel while you are having breakfast place the oil container in hot water and keep the water as hot as you can, pull the container out and turn it over a few times and replace in hot water again. when you leave for the airport wrap it up and try to keep it as warm as possible. with the battery, just keep it warm.

replace the oil and bat. then crank the engine but do not start it. get the oil pressure up then do your preflight. then start your engine. while you are doing your preflight the warm oil will take the 'cold soak' out of the engine.

don't pour warm water over the engine. the best way to preheat an engine is to fit scat hose to the inlets on the cowl and pump warm air into the engine from a metere or so away this way you will heat the engine evenly and is a lot safer than risking frying wires and hoses with a paint stripper as it is to concentrated and way to hot. just a tip

ozzie

Hey Ozzie,

The warm oil bit just won't work. The cold engine (0 degrees-ish) will pull the warmth out of the oil in seconds. Best bet would be to get the oil very hot and start the engine straight away if you wanted to try this. Best thing to do is as previously stated, heat the engine as a whole.

Heating the battery is a good idea though.

One of those cheap fan forced "k-mart" heaters will probably do and small gensets are only a few hunderd dollars if no power is available. Ofcourse the genset has other uses as well, like making a cup of tea while you wait for your engine to warm...........

Now......If the genset is too cold to start.........hmmmmmm?

Regards,

RJM

Too many years ago to remember I used to ride BMW R75/5 motorcycle in ACT which was a real dog to start in winter. They had two Bing CV carbs just like Rotax's. It helped if they were spot on for balance. Also put camp stove under the sump to near boil oil prior to starting but not likely to be of use with a dry sump!:star:

Hey this might be a bit niave but what about the good old electric blanket? Has all the safety fetures built in, safe enough to put over you and your kids and will not overheat or "bubble anything.. and economical..Just a thought .

• 4 weeks later...