Andy, what is Followme

Hi andy, you referred to this in a post. What is it and where do you get it. I am guessing its an app. Sounds useful for flight following. Thank you choc

In the App Store type in 'followmee' spelt like that and a few different versions will pop up. I haven't personally used them yet but after seeing the post mentioning them I looked it up and downloaded it. Looking forward to trying it on my next trip:plane:

Guest Andys@coffs

Yep....what he said.....

I paid for a copy (there are 3 tiers...I think it was the middle one) and have it installed on the ipad mini and the iphone........I run it on the mini when I fly and my wife tracks it on her iphone or PC......I set it to post an update every 2 minutes and also have it set for most aggressive use of battery as that provides best location data at the expense of battery, but then I have a charger plugged into it in flight anyway......

The www.followmee.com website then renders all the individual location points in a google map, providing that you have 3G or 4G coverage where you are flying. If Telstra then generally at a reasonable height you'll be reasonably sure of coverage on the east coast and perhaps a few km's west of the divide as well.....but I wouldn't count on it...If its that important get a SPOT or equivalent that uses satellite data connectivity rather than ground based cell towers for coverage

Andy

I used Instamapper with success for years but it seems to have been dropped. Have used Glympse recently, usually with success. There are other free aps, but many seem designed to secretly track cheating partners. Maybe OzRunways could add one.