Sources for foam near Brisbane?

Hi,

I am going to try my hand at hot wiring some airfoils. I have the hotwire all set up, so now I'm looking for a local (to Brisbane) source for suitable foam. The plan is to lean the art by sacrificing some cheap white foam, and when I think I know what I'm doing, move up to more suitable foams. Eventually, I want to make female plugs (one for the tip skin, and one for the bottom) so that I can make molds from them. My wing skins themselves will be a sandwiched 3mm 3D-Core hexagonally perforated EPS foam sheeting, with 2x glass on either side. So I'm not looking to spend a fortune on structural foam or even DOW blue foam. This plan may change, but that's what I'm currently considering.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Regards,

Duncan

Hi,I am going to try my hand at hot wiring some airfoils. I have the hotwire all set up, so now I'm looking for a local (to Brisbane) source for suitable foam. The plan is to lean the art by sacrificing some cheap white foam, and when I think I know what I'm doing, move up to more suitable foams. Eventually, I want to make female plugs (one for the tip skin, and one for the bottom) so that I can make molds from them. My wing skins themselves will be a sandwiched 3mm 3D-Core hexagonally perforated EPS foam sheeting, with 2x glass on either side. So I'm not looking to spend a fortune on structural foam or even DOW blue foam. This plan may change, but that's what I'm currently considering.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Regards,

Duncan

About a million years ago, I got some bargain extruded polystyrene from "Austech" at Eagle Farm... it's a dow corning product, gold in color, may be what the yanks call "pink foam"...

Years ago when I was heavily into radio controlled model planes had a hot wire system and made heaps of white foam cored wings. It came in sheets 4 ft x 6 ft x 6 ins which I bought from a local carpentry shop so I presume it was not hard to come by.

If you want a thick slab you could always use a "waffle pod" they are used in concrete slabs so most building supplies shops stock them or can get them quickly the are 80 and 100mm thick and can be bought in 1m, 2m 3m lengths by approx 1m wide and are styrofoam