Reclassification of Williamtown airspace

Hello all,

I'm a long time follower of these forums but not much of a poster but here goes:

There is a joint civil/military discussion in progress regarding changes to Williamtown airspace. There has been a proposal put forward for better and higher airspace access between Maitland and the coast. Providing more options when flying north, or general flying in the area, for aircraft unable to travel through class C airspace (eg up or down the coast past Williamtown).

The proposal involves R578E and R578B being combined to form a new restricted area from SFC to 1600ft which would be deactivated when Williamtown is not in use for military purposes, which is generally most weekends.

Attached is a map of the proposed changes but please note that this is still a discussion and nothing is set in stone.

I have been told that the more interest shown in these changes the more chance of a favorable outcome which brings me to the reason for this post.

If you feel this is a good thing could you please PM or email me with your input and I will forward all responses to John Hodder at CASA who is handling this proposal.

If you fly around this area or not, I urge you to just throw a few lines together and send them as opportunities to free up airspace are few and far between.

thanks,

Dallas Wilbow

[email protected]

663226003_airspacemap.jpg.0da77c0fa36b9de875ce6c0e6bd37901.jpg

• Agree 4

Guest Andys@coffs

<EDIT:- the post below is factually incorrect R578E and B are not, from my experience, deactivated on weekends, its the R583X series on the next ring out north from Willy that get deactivated, in my experience on weekends>

Dallas

Thanks for the advice, but as I understand it today R578E and B are deactivated most weekends and NAIPS can be used to determine if it is with a final check for the area controller before entry, which If my understanding is correct means we RAAus folk can enter those areas provided we stay under the class E step.

Last weekend I travelled from Grafton down to Cessnock and basically tracked from Taree across to the Maitland lane of entry and intercepted it dropping down to <1600ft just before the current 2000 to 1600 step.

What exactly would be different with what is being proposed?

I personally wish something could be done about west of the coffs class D that to me is equally hair raising in my view, and more so when the cloud base is low cause the mountains sure aren't!

Andy

DallasThanks for the advice, but as I understand it today R578E and B are deactivated most weekends and NAIPS can be used to determine if it is with a final check for the area controller before entry, which If my understanding is correct means we RAAus folk can enter those areas provided we stay under the class E step.

Last weekend I travelled from Grafton down to Cessnock and basically tracked from Taree across to the Maitland lane of entry and intercepted it dropping down to <1600ft just before the current 2000 to 1600 step.

What exactly would be different with what is being proposed?

I personally wish something could be done about west of the coffs class D that to me is equally hair raising in my view, and more so when the cloud base is low cause the mountains sure aren't!

Andy

Andy, what is the restriction on class E, you refer to (other then radio & transponder) :

(And suitably registered aircraft obviously)

CAO 95.55

1. (d) the aeroplane must only be flown in:

2. (i) Class G airspace; or

3. (ii) Class E airspace in V.M.C.; or

4. (iii) in accordance with paragraph 7.3 — in Class A, B, C or D airspace;

Guest Andys@coffs

Frank

Your right, but in my case my transponder is needing the 2year check so I stay out of E, which means I was wrong when I said "we stay under the class E step" not so much we and more me

Andy

Thanks Dallas, A better arrangement is needed especially down the coast route. AOPA had a go at this a few years ago and got some improvements. Both routes around this airspace are not good for non transponder equipped aircraft. I'll write a few lines and send it to CASA. I'll also alert the guys at Taree.

• Like 1

Guest Andys@coffs

Ive just looked on my ozrunways and can now definitely see the changes, my comments above relate to the next ring out from Willy, not this closer in one. As I understand it today the usual weekend removal of restrictions(check NAIPS b4 assuming they are released) is that one ring further out. The 1600ft lane is Ok when the weathers Ok and ugly when it isn't so anything that can get us a bit more altitude and a chance to make a choice in the case of an engine failure would be very much appreciated.

I should have looked b4 posting.

It would be good if the change could extend past the hand drawn limit so that you could go completely around willy without havng to use the lane at all...even for the small distance that remains.

I note that written on the top is "option 2" what were the other options?

Andy

I'm a little confused. Can RAAUS pilots fly through the area when williamtown is inactive? I was under the assumption no. I have always done the inland lane which is not fun in a good wind.

Guest Andys@coffs

Its not about whether Willy is active or not, its about whether the various restricted areas around the area are active or not. Theres a whole bunch of them and the RAAF rarely/never deactivate all of them. When each is individually active we must stay outside (unless survival dictates otherwise, in which case all bets are off)

When or if each is inactive then access to that area depends on the airspace in which it sits. If the airspace reverts to class G or class E then you can access providing if E you comply with the requirements regarding transponder/radio.

For the specific example being discussed, if the crosshatched area did change and if the RAAF did deactivate the "R578E and R578B being combined to form a new restricted area" then from the bits we can see RAAus aircraft will have access to the crosshatched area below the 1600ft that Dallas added in pen. When the new area is active we would only have access to the existing lane.

Today the 2 Romeo's mentioned don't seem to get deactivated on the weekend so the fact that they sit in clear G below4500 and E above it to RAAus limits is a moot point. The next ring out from Willy (not shown in the map above) does have a restricted area that in my experience is deactivated on weekends and as such you don't have to transit then all the way to the end of the lane before resuming own navigation, however the country below is mountainous, heavily timbered and the usual should we fly over tiger country arguments apply.

Andy

Guest Maj Millard

I have flown the inland Willy VFR lane on a good day, when it had the 1200' then 1500' height restrictions......character building for sure even on a good day.!...loose site of that railway line and look out !....In bad weather it must be hazardous for sure. Any improvement in height or area options would be most welcome in my opinion in that area.

And as for west of Coffs...same story ....hills and valleys not real inviting as you stay west to clear Coffs Class C especially as the cloud is often low through there. Do they actually bring traffic in from that direction anyway to Coffs ?......a height increase or VFR lane should be established here also..........Maj....

Thanks for the replies, I have had a few PM's and emails today that I will pass on. Andy I have attached option one also.

These images where sent to me from others that have invested a lot of time into this proposal, I am just trying to get word out. Apparently both CASA and Williamtown are both willing to listen to these proposals so the more correspondence we can give supporting a change in the airspace the better.

thanks

Dallas398882816_proposal1.jpg.81b68662652f112db81d495a16eab63e.jpg