Starting a 912 rotax

Starting up a 912 rotax,having worn a balaklava this morning as icy cold,I thought the engine sounded a bit throaty,Taxied to warm up area,seemed to warm engine up as normal,all ok.

Still not sure of change ,thought it was balaclava with earphones, thought I will do a circuit before leaving

Aerodrome,so took off ,just as I took off I heard a snap as I pulled my visor down.

I had broken my visor so I landed straight away,came back to Hanger found both side of engine exhausts

Had blown off muffler,has anyone come across this before as I am concerned that this has happened,

Even though it was so cold.I might have held throttle down while starting engine.

What happened is the muffler is still tight against engine pipes as they are spring loaded,but the muffler has popped away from the two pipes,not aligned.I havnt done any thing to spring the Muffler back over the two pipes as yet.

Guest Crezzi
Thanks Mc Guyver,I will order new ones and give that a try.

I'd suggest taking all the old springs off and removing the muffler before refitting with the new springs (rather than just replacing each spring in turn with the muffler in-situ).

Also note that in the standard Airborne installation, 2 of the 8 springs are a different length to the others.

Cheers

John

Good pick up Mick, change of springs won't hurt, there is also a spray on lube you can get for the exhaust joints, Steve Ruffells used to use some on the exhaust joints of his trikes but I cannot remember the brand.

Someone here might know what is used, it is a pressure pack spray and used to come out silver from memory??

Alf

Good pick up Mick, change of springs won't hurt, there is also a spray on lube you can get for the exhaust joints, Steve Ruffells used to use some on the exhaust joints of his trikes but I cannot remember the brand.Someone here might know what is used, it is a pressure pack spray and used to come out silver from memory??

Alf

Sounds like your talking about an anti-seize spray?

http://fireequip.com.au/anti-seize-spray-loctite-175g.html?utm_source=myshopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Tools+and+Hardware&utm_term=Anti+Seize+Spray+Loctite+175g

Thanks Downunder,

That is correct, anti -seize spray.

Thanks again

Alf