My BIG Lottery Win on the weekend!

Riley

Whilst fitting a new set of mainwheel tyres to the Aeronca Champ this weekend I discovered an extended crack (about 75% of the circumfrence and obviously quite aged) around the rim/flange of the inner 1/2 (brake shoe carrier) of the Cleveland 6" cast wheel (original casting flaw? extreme over-inflation of tyre press? multiple hard landings/skidding to stbd? or a combination of the lot?). At any rate, neither A/C Spruce or Univair show a specific part nr for this item in their catalogues and, subject to phoning either/both early next week, I am left hanging (but with a smile on my dial).

Does anyone out there know of a source in Oz for anything Cleveland that might get me back in the air? I'll look at new (lol) or used, complete or just the relevant part. viz: innner 1/2 (back section with brake drum NOT disc) of Cleveland Aircraft Products item TC No 134, w/ max static load of 1000 lb, Model DMB. Any information of a possible source would be very much appreciated. In the mean time I'm happily doing mental sums on how I'm going to spend the money that I saved by not having a ground-loop, or an 'ass-over-teat' write-off because of the wheel self-destructing during my next arrival. Thanks folks. Riley

• Like 1

In the mean time I'm happily doing mental sums on how I'm going to spend the money that I saved by not having a ground-loop, or an 'ass-over-teat' write-off because the wheel self-destructing during my next arrival. Thanks folks. Riley

Well, you could always donate it to Charity......

Regards Charity

008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

• Haha 3

If it's the type that has a loose flange, retained by a large wire circlip (as was used on the PA 18), they are notorious for cracking in the base of the circlip groove. If it's one of those, I'd look into fitting a standard Cleveland 600 x 6 wheel with 800 x 6 tyres.

The failed 1/2 wheel is/was an early (1000lb load rated) 6" Cleveland Model DMB. Via the Aeronca fraternity in the USA I've been fortunate in rounding up two used replacements (one will have to be good!) but have been advised to be on the lookout for later, higher-rated, ex-Citabria wheels with hyd disc brake fitments. Apparently there's an STC to suit. Many thanks to everyone who tried to assist in resolving my dilemaa. Depending on Mr Postman, I hope to be back in the air shortly. Riley

The Citabria wheels you describe have a very powerful brake action. Actually a little touchy for my liking. They are good brakes but the POH doesn't recommend using them for directional control at landing speeds. Powerful brakes load up all structure that is affected by braking too. Nev

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A closing statement. Received both the 1/2 wheel parts fm O/S and am happy to relate that the Champ is now back in the air. Should anybody end up in the same situation, there is now a back-up for the needy. Thanks all. Riley