Wanted .500" X .430" X .035"wt Alloy Wing Batten Material

Riley

Does anybody have, or know where I can obtain wing battens to suit either a Thruster Gemini or a T300/T500? Local (Aust) metal suppliers only seem to stock 12mmOD alloy tube which won't accept the plastic duck's bill fitting. I need 24 top and 24 btm but would happily purchase smaller lots. This Gemini will fly again once I round up a few more items. cheers Riley

If you can't source the original sizes, check what the hang glider guys now use in tube and their end fittings. It is what the Gemini/Thruster used originally anyway. Glad to see another one being saved.

• 2 weeks later...

Still looking folks. The best local price I could get for just the necessary tubular stock (no cutting, no shaping, no freight) was in excess of $650. That would double the effective worth of the Gemini if & when it were finished. If anybody has even a few Thruster wing ribs laying around in their hangar/shed with no immediate purpose, I'd be pleased to put them to work. Give us some inspiration gentlemen. Tks Riley

Have you considered just using the commercial metric size and gently heating the ends to fit the batten tips (so they mould to size),? assuming that this is a 95:10 where you can do pretty much as you want. The aerospace stuff will be more expensive of course, but will be lighter, due to wall thickness and consistent quality. I guess it depends on how badly you want it it fly.

Find your local Alcan outlet or similar and try and find some 6063 t5 or similar.

Or try Moyes hang gliders at Botany or Airborne at Redhead. If in doubt about strength just go up in wall thickness and drill to suit the tips.

Or maybe there are some laying around Tony's old hanger at Watts Bridge.