Massive Site Change Coming

Admin

The designing stage has come up with a concept that has 2 major impacts so far:

1. Sites are generally designed for PC's and then forced to be adapted for mobile devices using the recent coding practice of "Responsive Design" so the site can be used better on mobile devices. However, the figures of the current site are showing that mobile devices such as tablets and phones are being used extensively now and that is growing every month. So the new site, although 6 months away, is being designed in the opposite way that is currently common practice i.e. designed for tablets and phones and then adapted for PCs. Most users are now familiar with the icon: 463689536_MoreMenuIcon.png.2c8f37344edbe0b4e3bd512b85d1d15f.png for menus so the site is designed with this as standard and then code is used to determine if you are using a PC or not and if so, it will change for you, the other way around from what has been done over the last 5 years but I believe, and many others in the industry, believe that for the non-developer basic home user person, tablets will replace PC's in homes over the next 10 years. Just look at the quality of the new Microsoft Surface Pro 3 and what Windows 10 looks like.

2. Currently the site is based on the Forums, in other words 80% of the site, and what attracts people to the site, is the forums. In the concept this is going to change and most probably will NOT be the main attraction of the site anymore to the point that the forums could end up only being 30 to 40% of the site attraction.

The new concept is a radical change never before seen done on the internet let alone a site like this and not only will it set the site up for the next 10 years or more, it will be an experience that I believe you will want to come to every single day. It will be ALL AVIATION and if aviation is in your blood in any way then you will want to be a part of this.

Initial playing around with some code over the last few days is proving the concepts will work so I am very enthusiastic and excited with what I am seeing. Please if anyone else can come up with what you would like to see and do on the site then you MUST say so now whilst it is being designed so I can incorporate things in the foundations

I would love to see a free for all live video debate between Oscar, Merv, Deb, FT and Maj lol actually I might even be willing to pay for that:stirrer:

But seriously Ian I mainly come here for the forums and while I can appreciate you improving the site I am already happy:thumb up: I do hope it all works out well for you (and us I guess:wink:)

Ian, I agree that the trend is away from desktop & laptop computers and strengthening towards code for touch screen interfaces on various tablets. New developments should start with that in mind.

Your radical change sounds most exciting, and as an ageing techie/geek I share your enthusiasm.

Just a word of caution though... Test your prototypes early, using a range of people - not just like-minded techies. Try the mother-in-law, the neighbour across the street, random friends... I know it is aimed at aviation bods, but feedback from a variety of people will inevitably turn up things with the interface you've never noticed could be a problem, plus other issues stemming from a range of user platforms & operating systems.

Oversights like this when spotted early can save grief later on. Again, you probably know all this, but I wanted to share some of my hard-won experience with you in case it helps :-)

Happy designing...

Dave (dsam)

• 3 weeks later...

To give you an insight of the design philosphies that is being used in the current planning phase of this massive site change, you may like to read this article

http://thenextweb.com/dd/2015/01/02/10-web-design-trends-can-expect-see-2015/

Some of the elements of the article were already thought about so it is comforting to know that i was on the right track before i even saw this article this morning

Some big changes will come in the form of:

1. The Main Menu - The main menu will be completely removed and replaced with a pop out clickable graphic menu system. This is why a few weeks ago I added the Mobile Device "More Menu" 3 horizontal lines button at the beginning of the bread crumb so you could get use to seeing it and using it in its current text format which will be replaced with a graphic later this year.

2. The Header - This will be replaced with a smaller site concept header

3. The Forums - Massive change in the way the forums work.

The forums will change based on my analysis of what the forums are:

1. An Interactive Medium

2. A Reference System

3. A Searchable Archive of Information

It is MASSIVE change but still in its concept stage and will completely change this site and others to a completely new and powerful (for users) way of doing things compared to a standard forum web site that will benefit all users no matter what they are looking for. It will also correct many of the issues that are faced and often found in threads and posts of a forum site but it is 6 months off from becoming a reality so stay tuned