Phone and Headsets

Geoff

Hi Geoff

There is a product called "Flightcell 2 Go" http://flightcell.co.nz/shop/productlist.aspx?categoryid=10 where you can plug your mobile phone and headset into a small battery powered box and you can use your headset with your mobile phone - I believe the phone mutes if a radio call comes over the airwaves. The other thing with this set is that if you change your mobile phone they give you a new connector each time to suit your new mobile phone.

Now, how do I know this you may ask, I have one, a stereo one, sitting in my office still in the box as I am unable to use it. I bought it at Narromine at Easter and they are unable to get a plug adaptor for my 3 LG phone and this has been an ongoing saga since Easter time.

The current status is that they were expecting a new shipment of plugs last Friday and they will see if they get one to suit the pictures that I had to take of my phone and send to them.

You have prompted me now to give them another call, to NZ at my expense, to get an update but I will keep you informed on what is happening.

Tried one of them' date='mate bought one at Natfly it needs a amp you can hardly hear in the headset. [/quote'] Hi guys,

Geoff, I have one of these in the CT and it works just great w/out any additional amplifier ... v loud and clear. You might need to check your setup.

Paul PaulN

Try ed it in a vox setup and my own plane so I guess it must be defective' date=' the mate said he got it at Natfly for about$60 you to?[/quote'] Geoff, I bought mine brand new at Natfly

Hi All

I use the earpiece kit that came with the phone. ( CDMA ) I simply put the earpiece in my ear and stuff the mic in the headset cup and bingo! I think the aftermarket things cost about $7.00. It works for me.

Regards

Ed Ed Herring

That's sounds like a brilliant idea - one thing though, how would that idea go with an ANR headset for example Bose X where the ANR secret is in the cushion and ear contact plus a little mic next to each speaker in the headset or something like that?

Guest Guest

Ed

The CDMA phone mike is picking up the headset sidetone (sidetone enables you to hear yourself speak) however if the radio setup doesn't give you sidetone (most do) then your method won't work and you should then buy the Flightcell 2Go. CDMA or 3G phones are the way to go as GSM is short range and won't work after about 34 k from a cell although you may have 5 bars of signal - it's all to do with the timing of the signal out and back.

jake

Hi Geoff

My life long tried and proven KIS principle works, soif you can keep it simple do it! And thanks to Ian we have this forum to share idea's and wisdom. ;).gif

Regards

Ed

Guest Guest
Hmm, so the sidetone transmits into the handsfree? Is the earpiece loud enough?

Paul

Is if you turn up the volume smiley36.gif

jake

Guest Guest

I haven't seen one without a volume control. The CDMA system will be closed down in 18 months I thinkand 3G will take over so buying another CDMA may not be the way to go.

jake

Guest Guest

I've tried this method, however with David Clarke and Noise Reduction circuitry the phone reception stuffs up the Headset audio thus all you get it that familiar, da, daa, daa, daa, da, da, da and no possible chance of hearing who is on the other end of the call.

Guest Guest

Maybe the simplest way is to buy the Fightcell 2Go unit ($325 incl gst) at least it works with all (standard plugs) headsets and can be used in different positions or aircraft smiley1.gif

jake

Jake - Unfortunately I have to send my brand new Flightcell back as they can not find a plug that will fit my 3 CDMA LG phone (the guy at Flightcell Neil says he knows you).

As I am having to get a new headset soon and was going to go for the Bose again I was interested to hear about a headset called the Telex Stratus 50 Digital which is about $100 more then the Bose but comes with a mobile phone connector. I might look into these and see whether I can connect my phone to them as they are suppose to be a very good headset (yes, I know, everyone will say "well they would want to be a bl**dy good headset for $1575).

Incidentally, I was with Orange who are closing down due to Telstra closing down their network that Orange uses but their sister company 3 using 3g CDMA will still be around in that form of CDMA - or so I believe ;).gif

The Lightspeed 30 3G allso comes with a phone connection, around $1,000 , I have had one now for two years , works like a treat and a great headset.

i would prefer the Bose for weight if a phone connection is not required.

Guest Guest
Jake - Unfortunately I have to send my brand new Flightcell back as they can not find a plug that will fit my 3 CDMA LG phone (the guy at Flightcell Neil says he knows you). Incidentally, I was with Orange who are closing down due to Telstra closing down their network that Orange uses but their sister company 3 using 3g CDMA will still be around in that form of CDMA - or so I believe ;).gif

Ian,

Bad luck about the Flightcell - they'll probably fix that but too late for you.

As Turtle said the Lightspeed 30 3G is a solution and I have another customer with one that he swears by. So that looks like the most cost effective solution.

jake