Building an airstrip

Admin

Sorry to bring Savannahs into this thread, but are there any Savannah owners with private strips, and if so, (or even if not) what is a realistic minimum landing distance for that aircraft, with pax and fuel etc?

Redair.

Redair

I have a few friends with them, and one uses a 140m strip! the only catch is he has no fences at each end, and the approach is over a Strawberry field, and the neighbours back yard is freely available for over runs.

I would think a Minimum of 200m with goo approaches. The more the merrier they say, and 350 is a nice number I think, depending on your experience and skill and patience.

Of course strips that short keep us high performance guys out!006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

J

Savannahs.

We have a Savannah at Rods Bay and have recently mowed a new strip, about N - S.

At the South end there are 30m high gum trees and the Savannah is on the ground and stopped about 200m from the S end.

I have flown as a passenger in it and it is a case of drop the nose as you clear the trees and flare from about 10m. Interesting. I had a look at it in the Corby and decided I would touch down at the very far end and go bush, so discretion was the order of the day.

Thanks for that, the Savannah is looking more appealing by the minute.... now if

I can just get a test flight in one?;)

Redair.

Savannahs.We have a Savannah at Rods Bay and have recently mowed a new strip, about N - S.

At the South end there are 30m high gum trees and the Savannah is on the ground and stopped about 200m from the S end.

I have flown as a passenger in it and it is a case of drop the nose as you clear the trees and flare from about 10m. Interesting. I had a look at it in the Corby and decided I would touch down at the very far end and go bush, so discretion was the order of the day.

Yen - The critical Q here is: How long is that strip???

Come on, come on.... we all want to know! The weekend is gone, did you measure the strip? Do I seem a little desperate?

Redair.

Weather was not conducive to flying so I didn't go on Sunday. I did fly on Saturday but as usual put off what could be left till tomorrow. Still raining.

I will look on Google Earth and see if it can be worked out.

I went on to Google Earth today and calculated the length of the strip as about 250m, from start to where the Savannah pulled up. This is from the 15m high trees, so the usable strip is much less.

If you want to see for yourself go to 24deg 33' 54.78" S, 151deg 23' 33.58"E

To 24deg 03'47.19"S 151deg 23" 34.44" E.

That is the extent of the strip, which you will see crosses the main 13 -31 strip. It is intended to extend to the North, past the main strip when I can get a blade onto the area. At present it is a bit wet.

Note the red roofed house. It upsets a lot of pilots, they are afraid of hitting it.

Thanks for that, I reckon, (farmer willing of course) to be able to have 270m with nothing more than a cyclone sheep fence at either end.

Redair.

Guest jimbo_xyz

There's a been a couple of private strips near my parents farm and it's so flat at home that all you need to do is fence it off and make sure there are not holes to worry about. Once I have my own a/c I will just be landing in whichever paddock Dad isn't using for crops. With 2000acres dead flat and little in the way of trees this shouldn't be an issue. As was said previously the sheep tracks are one to watch out for and lucern is no good either as it grows in big clumps.