SBS Monday 13th

Guest ozzie

A special aeroplane. My mum, a shy girl from an isolated little farm flew in one across the Nullabour in the '30s. She must have saved up for years to make that trip. Makes many of today's "thrill-seekers"look pretty tame.

• Like 1

I was fortunate enough to fly in an Ansett DC-3 from Warrnambool to Melbourne when I was about 12 or 13. The décor was basic, I had to walk uphill to my seat, I could see the pilots sitting in the cockpit, it vibrated and it was noisy. I enjoyed every minute.

rgmwa

Spectacularly successful and advanced design at the time. Airframe build so adequate they can still fly commercially today. Designed to fly on one engine. Douglas was synonymous with quality for a long time in Aviation. Nev

• Agree 1

Watched it...Loved it

When I was 12, I flew from Buffalo NY to Pittsburgh on a DC4. It was my first time in ANY airplane. The wings wagged and the engines wobbled and the cowlings rattled and shook. I thought the plane might come apart. Being 12 I didn't worry about what would happen if the wings or an engine fell off!:rotary:

I've just watched a recording of the program (unable to watch on the night) and it sure brought back some memories.

As a young aircraft spotter I spent everyday of my school holidays at the Guernsey Airport where many Dc3'

operated especially BEA aircraft who operated

32 of them. My school pal and I used to approach the air hostesses to see if we could have a look inside whilst they were on the tarmac between flights and were given the opportunity on many occasions, we just had to make sure that we didn't ask the same air hostie twice.

When I became a teenager earning money I flew in Dc3's several times and later took my wife to England on honeymoon which was her first flight ever, also in a Dc3. The ones operated by BEA were quite luxurious for the time and very comfortable.

BEA was of course British European Airways which later became British Airways when they went international.

Alan.

I have a real soft spot for the DC3. As a 13 year old air cadet in 1969 it was my first time in an aircraft. We flew in an RCAF transport from Calgary to Cranbrook in the BC Rockies. As it was winter, I couldn't believe how beautiful the mountain scenery was from the air. They even did some gentle stalls enroute for the cadets up front and on the jump seats aft. All fantastic fun!

Unfortunately the snowy weather closed in, and we could not return by air. The cadets still enjoyed the new adventure of a hastily arranged bus ride back home in the wee hours of the morning. Caught the flying bug then, and it has never left me since. Wonderful memories - wonderful aircraft.

• Agree 1