Runaway Trike.

It looks - sadly - as if the Ultrabat may not be in existence for much longer to terrorise the flying public; while the 'Bat itself remains intact at the moment, the moulds (magnificent pieces of work) look like, from last reports I had (two or so weeks ago) will have a chainsaw put through them and be dumped. George Markey put probably more than $500k into those moulds (with all the engineering costs for developing the 'Bat Mk II). I worked on the 'Bat II with George a few years ago, and it was/is a tiny jewel of an aircraft, almost the ultimate bling for those who would fly unlimited aerobatics but can't afford a Pitts or an Extra. Badly let down by the unreliability of the Rotax 2-stroke engine; George ended up landing deadstick on roads etc. in the USA too many times for even his comfort - and George was not a man to put much value on comfort...

Dam shame. I thought the productions rights ect were for sale a while back ? I could be thinking of the Sapphire though.

The moulds were packed and ready to go to Florida for development of a production exercise, that has fallen through and the owner has pretty much run out of options. The only 'Bat Mk II still exists; I delivered the fuselage nearly two years ago to have a specially-developed aerobatic engine fitted, and the wing followed a week later, but the Jabiru debacle has put that on hold for the indefinite future.

I think (but don't know, I'm not in contact with the new owner of the 'Bat and moulds) that he's found the same effect that George did: everybody loves looking at the wee thing but when it comes to reaching for their wallet, the allure recedes. It's a high-tech structure, not a back-yard lay-up job, involving a lot of c/f requiring autoclaving etc. - it only looks a bit 'Sapphire'-ish. And it only does one thing well: aerobatics; it's not a thing you can use for anything else, really.