Episode 9 of the Go Flying Australia Show is out - New Zealand Aviation Scene

[MEDIA=audio]http://traffic.libsyn.com/goflying/Go_Flying_Australian_Podcast_009.mp3[/MEDIA]

Show Notes (Click Here)

Link to Itunes to listen for Apple device users

On todays episode I go over the 'ditch' to chat with Rick Watson who is a Recreational pilot and captain of a flying club (Hauraki Aeroclub) based in New Zealand. Rick and I have a great chat about a number of things including Tecnam aircraft, the awesome scenery in New Zealand from the air and the joys of crosswind landings (see below).

What do you guys think of the Tecnam P2002 that Rick loves?

Previous Episode Links:

Episode 001 – Flight Training Experiences with Adam Yavner (Private Pilot)

Episode 002 – Circuit Training and Procedures

Episode 003 – Kit Building Tips

Episode 004 – Australian Lightwing designer – Howard Hughes

Episode 005 – Interview with Peter Counsell – Trike (Microlight) Pilot and owner of TrikeMag

Episode 006 - Interview with Carl Stebbings of the Plane Talking UK Podcast

Episode 007 - Interview with Matt Hall - Red Bull Air Race Pilot

Episode 008 - Interview with Commercial Pilot and Author Owen Zupp

Thank you so much to all of the forum members who have contacted me with their feedback so far.

Future Episodes include:

- Interview with a Cirrus Instructor and Glass Panel Expert

- Interview with our very Own Tim Heylbut (Author of The Diary of Jack Flyer)

I would love to hear some feedback!

I would love to hear any feed back (both good/bad) by the following means:

- Comments below this post

- Direct Message on the forum

- Comments function on my website www.goflying.net

- Contact form on my website

- twitter

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Cheers,

Adam

• Agree 1

Fantastic, downloading it now!!

Thanks for listening!

Next episode will be an interview with Joel Haski from Red Baron at Bankstown to talk about Aerobatics and Upset Recovery Training.

Check him out below:

• Like 1

Recflyer,What do I think?

Ricks on a winner I got one of them also, love it, beautiful flying qualities, sleek, smooth looks as good as it fly's

Thanks Alf. I would not mind one myself. Would be a great cross country machine at 120 knots!

It must be good because Rick's school has once Tecnam and they love it so much they want to buy another one.

Thanks Alf. I would not mind one myself. Would be a great cross country machine at 120 knots!It must be good because Rick's school has once Tecnam and they love it so much they want to buy another one.

Adam,

Not sure where Rick got the 120 kt cruise from, mine was 544 kg until I upgraded it to 600kg.

At 544 kg the top of green on the ASI was 115 kts and then went in to the yellow arc after that and the VNE was 154 kts, with the 600 kg upgrade the top of green came back to 110 kts & the VNE to 136 kts with the increased weight.

Don't get me wrong it will do 120 kts easy straight and level at about 22 lph but your flying in the early stages of the yellow arc which is not my cup of tea.

I usually poke around between 95 & 105 with a fuel burn of between 15lph & 19 lph depending on which speed I fly at.

And yes they are a beautifully built aircraft.

Cheers

Alf

• Like 1

Adam,Not sure where Rick got the 120 kt cruise from, mine was 544 kg until I upgraded it to 600kg.

At 544 kg the top of green on the ASI was 115 kts and then went in to the yellow arc after that and the VNE was 154 kts, with the 600 kg upgrade the top of green came back to 110 kts & the VNE to 136 kts with the increased weight.

Don't get me wrong it will do 120 kts easy straight and level at about 22 lph but your flying in the early stages of the yellow arc which is not my cup of tea.

I usually poke around between 95 & 105 with a fuel burn of between 15lph & 19 lph depending on which speed I fly at.

And yes they are a beautifully built aircraft.

Cheers

Alf

Interesting. I will have to ask rick about this next time I chat with him. with avgas at the price it is I would be cruising a bit slower as well if it was just local area flying.

Cheers

Interesting. I will have to ask rick about this next time I chat with him. with avgas at the price it is I would be cruising a bit slower as well if it was just local area flying.Cheers

Well the Tecnam is designed to run on premium unleaded 95 RON minimum, (100hp Rotax) but can be run on avgas as long as you change the oil more regular.

I was in NZ last time off 2weeks ago and standard unleaded there was between $1.88 to $2.00 a litre so I would hate to see what premium unleaded and avgas costs.

Alf

• Like 1

Well the Tecnam is designed to run on premium unleaded 95 RON minimum, (100hp Rotax) but can be run on avgas as long as you change the oil more regular.I was in NZ last time off 2weeks ago and standard unleaded there was between $1.88 to $2.00 a litre so I would hate to see what premium unleaded and avgas costs.

Alf

I should have known that about the mogas! Yeah they certainly are unlucky to have some of the worlds highest petrol prices.