Tow bar?

Neil_S

Hi fellow Savannah owners,

I have just bought a Savannah S, and although she has a nice 310kg empty weight it would still be good (especially for pushing backwards) to have a tow bar for steering the nosewheel. What do any of you use? E.g Do the "Piper/Cessna" towbars advertized by some of the Pilot shops fit?

Thanks,

Neil

I'm sure something similar will do the job. You need them going backwards unless you push down at the rear and that's awkward. You will need a couple of fittings on the extended axle. Make it long enough so you don't have to bend over. There's usually a telescoping 'T' bar so you can store it easier. Don't make it too heavy. Nev

• 1 year later...
Hi. I need to make a nose steering wheel too! Would love to see some pics and or plans/drawings.Thanks

Hi Neil;

I've attached a couple of pictures of a towbar a friend made to fit both his CH701 and my Savannah VGW (VGXL). The knobs on the fork are sections of 1" aluminum rod drilled and recessed for 5/16" stainless bolts. Although the towbar is made of steel (hangar use) it (or a similar arrangement) could be fashioned from aluminum tubing to save weight.

1813509715_towebar2.jpg.0a00d4bebb120cfc99386b023b952eba.jpg

1751929717_towbar1.jpeg.556c3ea488cc49b609ac4da0d74eb3c1.jpeg

2077765966_towebar2.jpg.9ddf352d2e5cd7615d2681dc0ab32f10.jpg

1267148821_towbar1.jpeg.091e33382fe4f513a746cc6ad1e2e61e.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks, guys, much appreciated.

I actually don't need to make one any more as my hangar mate also bought a Savannah, and it came with a towbar, so I just borrow his!

I will upload some pics next time I go out to the airfield so you can see how it is made. Basically fits over the axle within the nosewheel fork. Very simple, but effective.

Regards,

Neil