Shutdown checklist ?

I got burned installing one DOWN THE BACK with a metal watchband that earthed ( still got the scar). I'm not going to bet my house, but it's my recollection.. Nev

Nev

All the various 172s I have flown had the battery in front, actually requiring the removal of the cowl for access (when not fitted with external pwr). Rear in 182s.

I don't know about the VERY early or the current issue.

Approaching 150 hours, if I'm being honest, I would say that it took me until about 1oo hours to stop forgetting things. Getting distracted and completing checklists in my head seemed to be the root cause looking back on it, so now I say all the checklist items out loud and start again if I get distracted. Seems to be working OK, but I'm fairly certain that when I start down the path of a new endorsement, I'll probably have a few episodes again. Things I've stuffed up include:

1) Forgetting to advance the throttle while priming the engine with the fuel pump on the fuel injected lycoming. Flat battery resulted.

2) Forgetting to turn the fuel pump off after takeoff.

3) Forgetting to turn off the carb heat on short final...multiple times!

4) Perhaps the biggest lesson, just prior to pass overhead a class D airport for a left downwind, ATC advised to join right downwind right. I didn't expect it and it and it really threw me. By the time I made the turn I was almost over the field and proceeded to totally forget the rest of my downwind checks. Landed with the fuel pump off. If I had my time again, I would have just asked for the left downwind given how close I was to the field.

Anyway, fairly comfortable with what I'm flying now, but all of these experiences tought me to respect what I'm flying. Just because you can land it doesn't mean you can fly it safely. It takes a good number of hours to get comfortable with the ins and outs of each new plane I rekon.

As for forgetting to turn off the master, luckily the vacuum system makes enough noise to prevent that!

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Frank it would have had to be one of the first 172's or. Might have been a straight tail 182. Thanks Nev

Phil I read all the notes, sent. All the dimensions are similar to the Citabria but the A 65 is a smaller donk by a fair bit. I think one of their models was a Champ. I haven't had the chance to look up the facts yet. Be a wood spar with perhaps aluminium ribs nailed to the spar. Mine was done with Barbed MONEL nails, which is supposed to be the duck's guts. I don't know how many parts fit from the later American Champion but their parts are available. Should be easy to fly. Nev

• Agree 1

Happy Birthday Phil...hope you have a great day..David

Thanks David, look forward to catching up if you manage to drive up to Cosford museum in July . . . .

Phil

UPDATE on the c-172 Battery problem,

The engineers reckon it suffered a short circuit somewhere near the battery, . . . and the main bus is all burnt out plus other ancilliaries, which ( I am told ) would not have been damaged if the master had been switched off. . . it was allegedly stated by one of the two engineers who went to examine it, that if the main bus wiring had not burnt completely through, the aircraft could easily have caught fire and been a total loss.

I got this secondhand so couldn't ask any more questions about it. . . the aircraft is going to be repaired onsite, as taking it to pieces for transport by road was deemed unaffordable by the private owner, it is apparently in a secure, concrete floored barn under cover. Hmm. . .wonder what that's going to cost. The owner was, apparently somewhat unimpressed with the pilot as the field was very marginal in length for a 172 to operate safely. . . and not a recognised airstrip as such. It was flown in with 3 POB. He says he might need a skinny pilot to fly it out with not much fuel . . .

Crosswind today so C-172 couldn't be flown out,. . . . ( safely anyway ) all repaired, so I assume it wasn't that badly damaged ( electrically ) it was repaired on site yesterday and the repair bill came to around £875 . . . . I have not been told exactly what was replaced, but this information would not be of much use, as I do not own a 172. . . .( delivered a c-177 RG once upon a time,. . .can't even remember the engine size. . . . .) although,. . .my very good mate Richard has bought a failry recent 172 RG,. . . .never fled one of them. . . . . and he says I can borrow it as soon as the lame has sorted a problem with the gear retract . . .( ? ) he sold a Beautiful Maule. . .I loved that one. . . .

My friend is a member of the UK "Flying Farmers" club, and they just had a nice outing to Finland and return,. . .he said the wx was kind and the only niggle was the turbulence over Sweden,. . . . must be them abba singers ? a total distance of 2,900 NM in all. Sounded like a good outing,. . .I'm having a look at the videos he took next week. ( I'm not particularly enamoured with other peoples' holiday snaps, but I DO need to "Brown nose" him a bit to get my hands on the 172RG. . . .oooohh lovely)

He said that his average cruise rate over the entire trip was circa 118 Kt IAS. . . .he is one of those hard working farmers wo owns a really nice farm. . . .with a 700 metre strip in his back yard. . . .! and 19 other aircraft owners paying hangar rent. . . . . oh god let me win next week's lottery. . . . ..

• Like 1