Vans RV-4 RAAus Rego owners sought

Is there any Forum Member out there able to put me in contact with any RV-4 owners who are operating their aircraft under RAAus Rego?

They can PM me with/for contact details.

Thanks

Mike

G'day Mike

I can't put you in touch but there was an RV4 at Monto for the 2012 Flyin.

I will look to see if I can identify it.

There can't be many because the max wt. is 1200 lbs and an RV4 is not much below 1000lbs

G'day Ian, RAAus Tech Mgr told me MTOW would be 600kg (1320lbs).

I think most RV 4's I have enquired about are around 440kg (970lbs) empty so only leaves about 160kg payload.

This makes them a single seater with full fuel.

Mike

• Like 1

Not a -4, but my RV-9A is going on the RAAus rego, hopefully this week. Current Basic Empty Weight is 422.25Kg, without gear fairings or prop blades, with the final weighing to be done by the L4. I'm assuming worst-case 950Lbs BEW, leaving 370Lbs payload, but it might sneak in around 940.

MTOW under CAO 95.55 is 600Kg / 1320Lbs, not 1200Lbs. And, for amateur-built aircraft, there is no payload limitation based on number of seats as there is for LSA/factory-built.

• Like 1

Krviator, 370lbs (168kg) will not leave much for fuel if flown two up.

I was informed by someone from RAAus some time back that to be able to be registered two seat the formula was:

2 x 80kg + minimum 90 mins fuel. An 0320 @ 30 ltrs an hour is 45 lt (32kg) therefore min payload needs to be 192kg (BEW in this case of 408kg) to be able to be registered.

Can anyone confirm this?

Mike

• Informative 1

That only applies to factory-built aircraft. It does not apply to any amateur built ultralight. Many people within RAAus fell for that fallacy, right upto management level, but CAO95.55 Ch 1.3 is explicit in that it does not apply.

I'll be the first to admit I do not have sufficient payload for two adults and even VFR reserves, yet alone trip fuel. That being said, I have a fast, long-range single seater, for me solo with full tanks or a suitable two seater for a local junket with one of my kids for upto 2.5 hours with reserves. That suits my mission perfectly. Eventually I'll probably go for the RPL and SAAA for an Experimental CoA, but right now, that's too much hassle, for several reasons.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2
  • Caution 1

Mike, let me lnow if Yenn is not able to help you. There is a red RV4 (registered single seat) in Melbourne, which is probably the one that Yenn is talking about as he comes up here a lot. And I'll dig up some contact details and PM you. Are you still in Kununarra or are you back in Bundy now?

Bob Dennis

• Like 1

Mike, I can't confirm what it is now as there 's nothing in print that I've been able to find. When I registered our 9a it was in clear print on their web;

80 kg per seat and 23% of the engines rated horspower converted to Kg's. In our case our Lycoming 0235 c2c is plated at 108 hp and 23% of 108 is 25 and this becomes 25kg.

80+80=160+25=185 kg. Our 9a weighed in at 406kg so our 9a's total weight to their formular was 591kg so it was legal to register it in the 600 kg class as a two seater.

Bob

Even if you can get the weights correct, iy is fairly obvious that it would be possible to put two people and full fuel in an RV4 registered with RAAus and fly it perfectly safely. But not legally. RAAus has had a problem with CASA from not complying with the letter of the law and I see the same problem happening again. If I had my RV registered RAAus, do you think I would risk running short of fuel, to comply with the max weight regulations?

The RV at Monto was a red one and so far I havn't found a photo.

I am not sure if the RAAus web site has anywhere to search for planes registered.

• Agree 1

Even if you can get the weights correct, iy is fairly obvious that it would be possible to put two people and full fuel in an RV4 registered with RAAus and fly it perfectly safely. But not legally.

You DON'T!!! YOU LOAD TO WEIGHT AND BALANCE!!! The same as you would with GA aircraft like a c150 and others like it. There are other aircraft types in RAA where a pilot has to be RESPONSIBLE and load to WEIGHT AND BALANCE not just RV's!!

RAAus has had a problem with CASA from not complying with the letter of the law and I see the same problem happening again.

Yes, but that was because of falsified weights of 100kg or more from a certain person and I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to falsify their aircraft's weight any more, even for one or two kg's!

If I had my RV registered RAAus, do you think I would risk running short of fuel, to comply with the max weight regulations?

You NEVER risk running short of fuel no matter what type of aircraft you fly. Knowing your aircraft limitations, you LOAD and PLAN for a SAFE trip.......... LEGALLY!!!

Cheers

Bob

• Agree 1