Accident at Bishops Bridge today 8th.

Guest ozzie

Sorry guys but I can't really make any more public comments on this.

I've been directly contacted by Police and the ATSB to assist in providing information related to the Model 12 (ATSB arrived on site this afternoon) so that's it from me on this one for the time being.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Guest ozzie

The only other one of these that i have seen locally is a dark blue one over at Luskintyre. Had an issue with the prop maker that needed sorting from memory about 18mths ago. Haven't seen it for a while.

Guest Maj Millard
it spun in...how is that related to an engine failure? it was doing aerobatics at the time

The one here in Ingham was doing a vertical climb when the engine quit, it then went over on its back into a flat vertical spin. A pilot ground observer said it appeared the pilot was attempting to restart the engine. The application of power may or may not have helped the pilot in a recovery. There were of course other mitigating factors in the accident as there are in all.

The one here in Ingham was doing a vertical climb when the engine quit, it then went over on its back into a flat vertical spin. A pilot ground observer said it appeared the pilot was attempting to restart the engine. The application of power may or may not have helped the pilot in a recovery. There were of course other mitigating factors in the accident as there are in all.

thats pretty scarey for something made for comp aerobatics

This one had an engine failure??

DZN I'd understood to be the common failed stall turn into aggressive spin .... reported "engine cut out" does not necessarily mean engine failure.

• Agree 1

the m14, read almost every accident report, most involve engine failure

N-177MF (the one you showed photos of) #50 of 66 to fly - crashed after loss of engine power just short of destination, at the end of a 512nm flight fully loaded with 2 occupants. Max range of a Pitts Model 12 with full tanks - approx 500 statute miles. Seriously, you're going to blame this one on the engine being unreliable are you?

N-488WT is also suspected to be a fuel issue but of a different nature.

There is no evidence that VH-DZN (crashed 10 Jan 2011) had an engine failure, but there is evidence that it spun inverted all the way to the ground after an aerobatic manoeuvre. The pilot had never undertaken spin training. We know that for a fact, because we were still begging him to do the spin training just before he crashed FFS.

Do you realise how many M14Ps were produced and are out there? You know it was in production for around 30 years and powers over 20 different aircraft types, including every single one of the 1,800 Yak 52s don't you?

• Agree 2
  • Informative 2

I haven't seen any info confirming engine stopped turning? Even if not told to stop turning it may have been the fuel system as a result of a long vertical up line?Verticals can also result in zero oil pressure .......

Guest ozzie

A celebration of Gerard Beiboers life will be held tomorrow (Friday 17th) 12 noon at the Newcastle Jockey Club, all welcome.

• 2 weeks later...