Dynon SkyView - now with OzRunways!

I normally fly "Track up" The Ozrunways is "North up". Got to try and sort that.Another Dynon update, 13.0.3. Minor fault fixes.

Page 160 of the Dynon 13.0.x PDF user-guide shows the map menu / map mode: Track Up setting FYI.

Happy flying :-)

http://www.pocketfms.com/Dynon/

It's an alternative to the jep database. European based but have aussie rep.

Better regional detail maping I'm told than jep. Jep is more for large regional/city airports and probably is more for commercial aviation.

My skyview came with the jep but I switched to fms. I think it was cheaper too.

I use the dynon "dataset" subscription. Updated every month.

I got the impression initally it was a full ozrunways "package" but it's an alternative map overlay. I can flick from my fms to Ozrunways map and back via a button.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

A bit of a followup, with effect from OzRunways V6.2, you can now export your plan to SkyView V15.2+ using the Dynon WiFi dongle.

I have not actually been able to do so myself yet and am in discussions with the folks at OzR as to why it isn't working for me, but apparently it can be done!

38069282752_18229986d9_c.jpg

A bit of a followup, with effect from OzRunways V6.2, you can now export your plan to SkyView V15.2+ using the Dynon WiFi dongle.I have not actually been able to do so myself yet and am in discussions with the folks at OzR as to why it isn't working for me, but apparently it can be done!

Hi KRviator. It works for me. I’m using the Dynon WiFi dongle (connected at the back of the display). Firstly, I make sure My iPad is connected to the Dynon WiFi signal. Only then do I launch OzRunways with my plan active on map-view. Then I tap the icon at the top of the screen that “shares”, and you should then see an option for OzRunways. Tap that, and the Dynon receives your flightplan almost instantly.

I hope that helps...002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

• Like 1

Hi KRviator. It works for me. I’m using the Dynon WiFi dongle (connected at the back of the display). Firstly, I make sure My iPad is connected to the Dynon WiFi signal. Only then do I launch OzRunways with my plan active on map-view. Then I tap the icon at the top of the screen that “shares”, and you should then see an option for OzRunways. Tap that, and the Dynon receives your flightplan almost instantly.I hope that helps...002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

To be honest, not really! :cheezy grin:That is exactly what I have been doing too, but for whatever reason, I cannot get the Dynon option to come up in the share menu, the only options I have are "Open Tracking Website", Share Tracking, Share Current Plan, Share Current Aircraft and Print. No Dynon. What IPad are you using? Mine is an iPad2 - not even an Air2, so I wonder if it is a limitation with iOS9, which is the latest iOS I can load. It does connect to SkyView and you can see it communicating when you initially press Share as the hamster wheel appears in the top left corner.

But beyond that, nada...077_smash_pc.gif.f5903d27a57d2bd4c7b9e20e21a3465c.gif

To be honest, not really! :cheezy grin:That is exactly what I have been doing too, but for whatever reason, I cannot get the Dynon option to come up in the share menu, the only options I have are "Open Tracking Website", Share Tracking, Share Current Plan, Share Current Aircraft and Print. No Dynon.What IPad are you using? Mine is an iPad2 - not even an Air2, so I wonder if it is a limitation with iOS9, which is the latest iOS I can load. It does connect to SkyView and you can see it communicating when you initially press Share as the hamster wheel appears in the top left corner.

But beyond that, nada...077_smash_pc.gif.f5903d27a57d2bd4c7b9e20e21a3465c.gif

oh...crap luck.... Yes, I have an iPad Air 2 with the latest iOS.

What I can say, is that I experienced the same issue as you when I left the OzRunways app open. To be clear, I had to dismiss from memory OzRunways and only launch OzRunways after knowing my iPad WiFi was connected to the Dynon.

Only on a “fresh” launch of the OzRunways app would the menu show Dynon as an option in that menu. That’s about the only tip I have...

oh...crap luck.... Yes, I have an iPad Air 2 with the latest iOS.What I can say, is that I experienced the same issue as you when I left the OzRunways app open. To be clear, I had to dismiss from memory OzRunways and only launch OzRunways after knowing my iPad WiFi was connected to the Dynon.

Only on a “fresh” launch of the OzRunways app would the menu show Dynon as an option in that menu. That’s about the only tip I have...

Next time I have a spare hour, I might nip back to the hangar and try rebooting the iPad and seeing if it'll connect from cold. Other than that, I can only leave it in the hands of the guru's at OzR...

Next time I have a spare hour, I might nip back to the hangar and try rebooting the iPad and seeing if it'll connect from cold. Other than that, I can only leave it in the hands of the guru's at OzR...

That re-boot might help too. (esp. hold Home and Power buttons down for 30 seconds)

But more specifically, make sure OzRunways isn’t still active in memory when you link the iPad to the Dynon. I’m assuming you know how to dismiss active apps in an iPad...? (ie. double click home button and swipe-up all apps you wish to dismiss - in this case, all but the Settings/WiFi app you use to connect to Dynon).

Sorry if I’m stating the obvious to you:blush:

• Like 1

That re-boot might help too. (esp. hold Home and Power buttons down for 30 seconds)But more specifically, make sure OzRunways isn’t still active in memory when you link the iPad to the Dynon. I’m assuming you know how to dismiss active apps in an iPad...? (ie. double click home button and swipe-up all apps you wish to dismiss - in this case, all but the Settings/WiFi app you use to connect to Dynon).

Sorry if I’m stating the obvious to you:blush:

So I found out what the problem is - and it isn't me or the Dynon. Discussions with the OzRunway guru's have found the way the code is written at present will not work with iOS9 - which is the best an old iPad2 can run. 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif That's the bad news. The good news is they are aware of the problem, know exactly how to fix it and will rewrite that particular piece of code so it does work with iOS9 from the next software release, and the great news is it should be ready before I can go flying again, so expect it in less than 2 weeks or so. 017_happy_dance.gif.8a199466e9bd67cc25ecc8b442db76ba.gif So thanks lads!
  • Like 2

So I found out what the problem is - and it isn't me or the Dynon. Discussions with the OzRunway guru's have found the way the code is written at present will not work with iOS9 - which is the best an old iPad2 can run. 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif That's the bad news. The good news is they are aware of the problem, know exactly how to fix it and will rewrite that particular piece of code so it does work with iOS9 from the next software release, and the great news is it should be ready before I can go flying again, so expect it in less than 2 weeks or so. 017_happy_dance.gif.8a199466e9bd67cc25ecc8b442db76ba.gif So thanks lads!

Well that’s a good response from OzRunways! Well done to them for looking after legacy iPads and software:prop:

• Agree 3

• 2 months later...