Port Macquarie To Jindy Advice Welcome

DrZoos

Hi guys so Im planning a trip to jindy as soon as weather permits. I have not flown south of Maitland previously. im after advice on route choice, particularly from sydney to cooma.....as to any unknown surprises or advice on route choice...

I looked at Jindy recently when there so know all about it and have read extensively the website about flying in the snow mountains etc...

The initial plan at this stage....is via the Gloucester laneway, pop out over fly cessnock, head for the laneway through western sydney (although I think im not allowed through there ?? so may go via Katoomba) , pop out and head slightly west around those restricted areas, avoid the Bindook NDB (as i presume that would be a very busy IFR point) fly west of D451

Wanted to stop at Goulburn for fuel , wee and a packed lunch....any advice on this greatly appreciated....as ERSA says its open, but i heard rumours it wasn't....

Was then going to proceed towards Bungendore and underfly the class C round East of canberra, then down the Monaro hwy

Please advise if i will encounter any horrible scenarios not obvious on the charts eg Parachutes Gliders, unknown airfields... I presume not much glider activity if any at this time of year (or is that wrong)

I would also like any tips or advice about flying the western sydney laneway

Many Thanks in advance

Get your hands on Sydney Basin Visual Pilot Guide, you can get it from CASA or ask around for a copy. If you fly to west side of Brooklyn Bridge then aim for The Oaks that will keep you in the lane. Heights and frequency in the book.

As for flying around Canberra I suggest contact Canberra approach at lake George and tell them what you're doing I.e flying OCTA around Canberra and they will probably give you a sqwark code and advise you of traffic.

Around Jindabyne be careful of westerly winds it gives a whole new meaning to turbulence. Even light winds from the west are rough.

For a different (and very scenic) way to traverse Sydney have you considered Victor 1 across the heads of Sydney Harbour and then continue down the coast to Albion Park. Arrange a stop there in lieu of Goulburn and look at all the toys that HARS have now. From Albion Pk you could then track across to Moss Vale and pick up the Hume Hwy and continuing with your suggested track to Jindabyne. As per Camel's suggestion get a hold of the relevant guide and do the research before just launching off and flying it.

I did Victor 1 a couple of years back now. It had been on my to do list.

The initial plan at this stage....is via the Gloucester laneway, pop out over fly cessnock, head for the laneway through western sydney (although I think im not allowed through there ?? so may go via Katoomba) , pop out and head slightly west around those restricted areas, avoid the Bindook NDB (as i presume that would be a very busy IFR point) fly west of D451Wanted to stop at Goulburn for fuel , wee and a packed lunch....any advice on this greatly appreciated....as ERSA says its open, but i heard rumours it wasn't....

Was then going to proceed towards Bungendore and underfly the class C round East of canberra, then down the Monaro hwy

Please advise if i will encounter any horrible scenarios not obvious on the charts eg Parachutes Gliders, unknown airfields... I presume not much glider activity if any at this time of year (or is that wrong)

What are you flying? I've heard that jabirus in the Western sydney GA lane might be a no-no.

Even if you take the laneway, cutting around holsworthy and then down the coast to Albion Park can be very pretty, although be wary of wind and cloud over the escarpment.

On the weekends you can usually fly south down the coast (again very pretty) to Moruya and then turn in. I have no experience south of Moruya.

You can fly the lane of entry, even in a jab. Just can't go into controlled airspace, so watch the steps and stay out of class D (Camden, Bankstown).

I have phoned CASA to ask about the "jabs in built up areas and class D aerodromes". They said that Bankstown, Moorabbin, Archerfield (those named in the instrument) etc are specifically forbidden, however the others are left to pilot discretion as to whether it is "built up" or they can glide free, etc. With that then you would just need a PPL, and appropriately equipped and rego'd Jab. I flew into Sunshine Coast, which is class D, in a jab - no issues.

So yeah, you can take the LOE, just stay under the steps, and out of YSBK and YSCN. I like the suggestions so far of taking V1 South then hooking a right at Moruya - beautiful strip right near the beach and they have AVGAS, in case you need to stop. If you want inland instead, then from the LOE you can overfly YSCN (at sufficient height, and make your calls), then go down to YMIG, over to YGLB, across to Tumut then down to Jindy (you'll want lots of height, it gets a bit bumpy).

I've never encountered much around the Bindook NDB. What can be surprisingly busy however is Crookwell - seems to be a favourite for instructors to throw in diversions and Prec. Search n Landings.

The zoo does not fly a Jabiru but the Western Sydney lane of entry is ok for Jabs going south but have been told North is a no go due to being unable to glide clear, that is what I was told from a well informed person, I would love to hear if anyone has a definite ruling on the use of Jabs going north in the lane.

Northbound would be problematic, as it takes you right over Parramatta. Might be worth a call to CASA on that, but as you pointed out DrZ isn't in a Jab. (sorry for having assumed that, you know what they say...)

If you're passing through Goulburn on a Saturday then finding a loo and a cuppa is certainly a possibility but if it's during the week then it's very much hit and miss. The public loos have been locked shut for years now so you've got to beg one of the local operators if you're after a loo. You are however more than welcome to drop in to Goulburn Aviation any Saturday though - BBQ's first Saturday of every month. There's a regular group of 20 or so of us that hang around tinkering and talking there when we're not flying.

if you get to goulburn, just track south, over lake bathurst, stay east of canberra CTA, then nip across the ridge, and follow the monaro highway all the way past cooma, and onto Jindabyne, no tiger country, a good highway to navigate by, and plenty of strips in between.