Rans S20 Raven??

Does anyone know of anyone who is building a Rans S20 Raven here in OZ...even better one that is flying here?Mark

G'day Mark. One S20 Raven flying in the south of NZ.

Friday, 27 March 2015

www.nzcivair.blogspot.co.nz/2014/11/future-flyers-at-custom-aviation-ltd.html

ZK-MFD (c/n 04140014) is our first Rans S 20 Raven and was registered to Moa Flat Downs Ltd of Tapanui in Southland, on 3/3/15. The S 20 is the latest in a long line of Rans aircraft designed by Randy Schlitter. It features the side by side 2 seat fuselage of the S 6 but constructed entirely of 4130 steel tubing (rather than the aluminium rear fuselage of the S 6), mated to the wings of the S 7. It also has a higher MAUW of 598 Kg, which is higher than both the S 6 and the S 7.

Another view of the S 20 Raven ZK-MFD with the rebuilt S 6 ZK-ZAZ, outside Custom Aviation's hangar at Taieri.

NZ has always been a supporter of all the Rans models.

Rans S-10 Sakota 4

Rans S-12 Airaile 3

Rans S-14 Airaile 1

Rans S-17 Stinger 1

Rans S-19 2

Rans S-20 Raven 1

RANS S4 Coyote 1

Rans S-6 ES (XL) 1

Rans S-6ES Coyote II 29

Rans S6S Coyote II 4

RANS S-6S Coyote II 16

Rans S-7 Courier 17

Rans S-7S Courier 7

Rans S-9 Chaos 4

Have a chat with Craig Miller of Custom Aviation.

http://www.customaviation.co.nz

Mike

• Winner 2

• 2 years later...

Yes I was looking and very keen on the Raven. The S21 though would be much better as 820kg MTOW but is 370kg with the 912ULS. I think I posted some specs from FB on another thread. If this new CASA medical proposal comes through then I can pass it on a yearly condition the RampC one I couldnt. If it comes through I would get the Outbound and put 120hp engine in it. I would prefer the all metal aircraft. Its essentially a Raven with metal wings and a different rear end as in the video. On FB Randy keeps updating his testing progress...one came out this morning I will grab some posts and put them here for you if you are not on FB

Yes, thanks ... but would you be hanging out, also, for an RAAus weight increase so as to get a decent legal useful load?

At least as good, say, as your current Savannah? Or do you mean you'd be going over to VH experimental?

I think it will be a very long time for a RAA weight increase. I know a lot more of behind the scenes now of what is required and its a shamozal. The S20 comes in about 340kg empty as a rag machine and yes its a path for for me that is there and it leaves me 260kg so it is doable. I have 280 kg now with the Sav. I fly anyway on a drivers licence medical as it is. This latest proposal of CASA with a non prostituted Austroads medical would be a great path. The current CASA modified Austroads medical is a joke and is actually harder than a Class 2 medical to pass.

The video you put here tells the story of the S20 with the S21 wing attached. The testing showed basically not much different in stall but about 10 mph faster in cruise with the all metal slightly shorter wing but it is a slightly different profile.

As a RAA pilot basically I have a RPL anyway but of course I can not pass the medical and I have no interest at all for a controlled airspace endorsement anyway. This new proposal will allow me to go to 1500 kg and max of 2 people...this is all I am interested in anyway.

The S21 with the 912ULS is 372kg empty but has a MTOW of 820kg this will fit if we get a weight increase via RAA and of course was originally designed to have the Titan 340 in it which is 160-180hp. The proto is now flying with a 912 ULS and seems to be doing very well. I would only probably want 120 to 130 hp engine. I will cut and paste here some of the flight data

The posts below I have sort of put in chrono order

Weighed in at 783 with Rotax 912ULS. Should make light sport with the Titan 340. Yahoo! This weight includes the heavy duty main gear, and a few other heavy duty airframe aspects for that 9 g 1800 gross.

Outbound Progress Report 16

12/13/17

Weigh In

We have made rapid progress on completing the S-21 Rotax powered prototype. We expect flight testing to begin before the end of the year.

The empty weight came in at 783 pounds. That was with the 10 pound heavier fiberglass cowling, but minus paint, we estimate a common empty weight to be around 820. That will allow for AP and paint.

There has been significant interest in a SLSA version, using either the Rotax or Titan. We believe a Titan 340 version could be around 930 empty. The estimated price could be 180 to 195 K.

Flight Testing

We begin flight testing next week and will be sending progress reports as data accumulates.

Flush Rivets

We are working on this as an option. The structure is suitable for use of flush rivets in most locations.

Stay tuned! More to come soon. RJS

Beautiful day for flight testing the S-21 outbound. It's always fun to get to know a new airplane and this one is no exception. The aircraft shows excellent static margins, light control response, and very well harmonised. Initial performance Impressions: cruise speed is at least 10 faster than the Raven with the 141 wing. Stall is below 40 mph IAS, climb is impressive 1000', and take offs are short, well under 200'.

Flight testing of the Outbound continues. The non numbers impressions: Tail comes up right away, quick to get aiborne, strong climb, stable in all axis, littleadverse yaw, rudders may need to be a bit lighter, light roll feel( may need to heavy up), pitch is just right , speedy, yet can fly very slow, stable in all axis, super nice stall, fun flaps, excellent glide, and deck angle makes it easy landing. Love, love, love the clear doors and sexy ramp appeal.

Not sure if these links will work for you but here is first takeoff and first landings...done about 1 week ago just before Xmas

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Engine weight not taken as a factor. A Titan 340 is US$25,000 so I would say about 38K in aussie dollars lander here and thats 160 to 180hp. A new 915I will be close to 55K aussie and its 141hp with a lot more complexity in it

• Agree 1

By the way, Mark, I suppose this pricing mentioned in your quote above is a typo.

"There has been significant interest in a SLSA version, using either the Rotax or Titan. We believe a Titan 340 version could be around 930 empty. The estimated price could be 180 to 195 K."

Randy says in this vid that they're selling the basic airframe kit for about 18K, I can't imagine even the fanciest fit-out going for 10X that.

• Agree 1

The kit with no engine is about US$28k You need a firewall forward kit which is about 5K...and a engine and avionics of course. The version he is talking about is a completely factory built and finished ready to fly away with the Titan engine and Dynon and autopilot etc. Although I dont believe it will be that price. But obviously I will get the kit version. The engine forward kit not sure as the engine I have not decided on yet for the S20 or S21. A main kit will cost about 45 to 50 K aussie delivered to the door. The rest you can do as cheap or as expensive as you want by of course what you can do yourself of what extras you buy from them. I estimate it will cost about 80 to 85K aussie to have mine flying from a kit. A Sav from a kit now will cost about 70 to 75K by the time you get it in the air and a factory built is around 105 to 110K now

• Informative 1

BTW ... it's fun to watch Randy Schlitter introducing this promotional video made over 20 years before the Oshkosh 2016 clip above.

His hair may have greyed in a generation but at least he no longer talks in corny bites of promo speak! LOL

Thankfully they don't (very often;-) make corporate films like this any more ...