Ops Manual Cross Country

Ada Elle

The old ops manual (v6) says:

CROSS COUNTRY FLYING

4. No Pilot Certificate holder shall act as pilot in command of a recreational aircraft at a distance greater than 25 nautical miles from the point of departure unless: a. an RA-Aus Cross Country endorsement has been issued; or b. flight training exercises are being conducted under the supervision and control of a CFI.

The new ops manual says:

. No Pilot Certificate holder shall act as pilot in command of a recreational aeroplane at a distance greater than 25 nautical miles from the original point of departure unless holding a RA-Aus Cross Country (X) Endorsement. Consecutive flights of 25 nautical miles do not comply with this requirement.

Does this mean that I can't log solo navigation training time as PIC? Who is the PIC in the case of a solo nav?

The old ops manual (v6) says:CROSS COUNTRY FLYING

4. No Pilot Certificate holder shall act as pilot in command of a recreational aircraft at a distance greater than 25 nautical miles from the point of departure unless: a. an RA-Aus Cross Country endorsement has been issued; or b. flight training exercises are being conducted under the supervision and control of a CFI.

The new ops manual says:

. No Pilot Certificate holder shall act as pilot in command of a recreational aeroplane at a distance greater than 25 nautical miles from the original point of departure unless holding a RA-Aus Cross Country (X) Endorsement. Consecutive flights of 25 nautical miles do not comply with this requirement.

Does this mean that I can't log solo navigation training time as PIC? Who is the PIC in the case of a solo nav?

Nothing has really changed. In order to prevent smarties flying legs just under 25nm, then landing and flying another leg just under 25nm - and so on, until they reached Darwin, the last sentence has been added.

Of course you will be authorised to fly a solo nav by your CFI, and this is legal. It's no different from the CFI authorising you to do circuits, or to fly out to your training area solo. You will be PIC, and you will log it as solo. happy days,

• Agree 1

Nothing has really changed. In order to prevent smarties flying legs just under 25nm, then landing and flying another leg just under 25nm - and so on, until they reached Darwin, the last sentence has been added.Of course you will be authorised to fly a solo nav by your CFI, and this is legal. It's no different from the CFI authorising you to do circuits, or to fly out to your training area solo. You will be PIC, and you will log it as solo. happy days,

Sorry, I didn't quote the last sentence, which was also in V6.

I actually found the section that authorises this - it's now moved to section 19; SIs can now approve solo navs (previously had to be approved by CFIs). That was the information I was after - whether an SI can send a student on a solo nav.

I actually found the section that authorises this - it's now moved to section 19; SIs can now approve solo navs (previously had to be approved by CFIs). That was the information I was after - whether an SI can send a student on a solo nav

Whilst RAAus now have this in the Ops Manual, a CFI may well have a local requirement that they check a couple of students trained by an, (relatively junior), SI - just to keep check on competencies. happy days,

Whilst RAAus now have this in the Ops Manual, a CFI may well have a local requirement that they check a couple of students trained by an, (relatively junior), SI - just to keep check on competencies. happy days,

Junior Senior Instructor - now that's a contradiction!

I also was wondering about cross country flights that include circuits - do I log the circuit time separately as non cross country flight, or does the fact that there's a 30nm leg in it mean the whole thing can be logged as XC?

• Haha 1

Junior Senior Instructor - now that's a contradiction!I also was wondering about cross country flights that include circuits - do I log the circuit time separately as non cross country flight, or does the fact that there's a 30nm leg in it mean the whole thing can be logged as XC?

I'm sure you are intelligent enough to understand the description of SI - please PM me if you need a more specific and nitpicky explanation.

Insofar as your hypothetical x/c goes - if I was your CFI, and sent you on a solo flight, you would have a specific set of directions. In that, you would be told whether to undertake a couple of circuits, or missed approaches, at that particular airport. That time would be logged as PIC, XC.

• Like 1

You may also note that the later versions of the Ops manual now require ten hours (minimum eight dual, two solo) of cross country training for the endorsement, as opposed to the five hours in the past.

Not a real problem to most, except for the cost of course, but I'm having to check out a student in his Drifter during winter....cold.gif.c4cdc44db1f6c401c5e88ff399ed7104.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The trouble with over educated people is they over complicate things, I have seriously intelligent engineers work for me but have to teach them what to do to get the results I need, if I left them to their own devices all I would have is 10,000 pages of calculations and nothing I could sell to anyone.

Ada

Just listen to what your instructors tell you, follow the rules and listen to good information passed on by people with lots of experience and you will have a long and enjoyable flying career/hobby. You don't need to know the in's and out's of a rats backside to be a very competent and capable pilot.

By all means if aerodynamics is what turns your crank go study it to your hearts content but stick time will count ten fold when the noise up the front stops.

Aldo

• Winner 2

The trouble with over educated people is they over complicate things, I have seriously intelligent engineers work for me but have to teach them what to do to get the results I need, if I left them to their own devices all I would have is 10,000 pages of calculations and nothing I could sell to anyone.Ada

Just listen to what your instructors tell you, follow the rules and listen to good information passed on by people with lots of experience and you will have a long and enjoyable flying career/hobby. You don't need to know the in's and out's of a rats backside to be a very competent and capable pilot.

By all means if aerodynamics is what turns your crank go study it to your hearts content but stick time will count ten fold when the noise up the front stops.

Aldo

Sorry all posted in the wrong thread, can't be very bright.

Aldo

• Haha 2