What if you controlled policy for a day, what would improve your safety most?

DrZoos

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The recent posts in this thread kinda prove my point that pilots generally (both GA and raAus) have a poor understanding of the rules. They seem to rely on what someone else told them rather than what the rules actually say. We have people who think that some restricted areas are ok for raaus pilots. Others that think a cpl needs to to time at night. Next it will be red ones fly faster and and drop bears falling from the sky.

• Agree 1

Cooktown to Merimbula all controlled airspace!! What maps are you using?You can go coastal past Maryborough, Bundaberg, Gladstone and Rocky ans still stay clear of controlled airspace.

Quite right but you also have Cairns, Townsville, Mackay, military airspace near Williamson, Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast, Coffs, Williamtown, Sydney Harbour and Nowra. I didn't say it was all controlled airspace, but if you try to put together a flight plan to fly coastal it's hard to get many legs available for RA. Sydney Harbour is not mandatory but is controlled and that was on the agenda.

• Agree 1

Quite right but you also have Cairns, Townsville, Mackay, military airspace near Williamson, Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast, Coffs, Williamtown, Sydney Harbour and Nowra. I didn't say it was all controlled airspace, but if you try to put together a flight plan to fly coastal it's hard to get many legs available for RA. Sydney Harbour is not mandatory but is controlled and that was on the agenda.

You can fly coastal past sydney outside controlled airspace via victor 1. Do you mean the harbpur senics which are within the controlled airspace?

The recent posts in this thread kinda prove my point that pilots generally (both GA and raAus) have a poor understanding of the rules. They seem to rely on what someone else told them rather than what the rules actually say. We have people who think that some restricted areas are ok for raaus pilots. Others that think a cpl needs to to time at night. Next it will be red ones fly faster and and drop bears falling from the sky.

Perhaps you could check Sale airspace with the RAA ops manager if you are so sure it is not an exception. I did. If he was wrong, so be it. You might forgive me if I asked for and accepted professional advice.

You can fly coastal past sydney outside controlled airspace via victor 1. Do you mean the harbpur senics which are within the controlled airspace?

Yes, that's what I meant by Sydney Harbour. Unfortunately on the day the cloud was too low by 100' so it will have to be next time. Naturally we flew Victor One. However, that leg was from Port Macquarie to Merimbula and did pass through quite a bit of controlled airspace.

• Informative 1

If you left Port mac you undoubtably faced a barage of CTA RA and other factors to contend with when heading anywhere but NW...well done you survived, still have a licence and an aircraft...

My wife (PPL) flew it, not me. She did a great job.

• Haha 1