Tru Trak ECO - new thoughts?

This strikes me as particularly attractive at $999 for ultralights for those that do longer trips.

see pics below - look at the tiny servos

Not only the price but the fact its massively lighter than a traditional 2 axis auto pilot setup

http://www.trutrakap.com/product/eco/

http://www.trutrakap.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Eco-Operation-Manual-prelim.2-small.pdf

The Blurb

ECO includes:

Automatic Envelope Protection (AEP)

Heading Hold

Track Hold

GPS Nav Mode

and Altitude Hold

SPECIAL INTRO PRICE: $999

AEP is a BRAND NEW safety feature that allows the pilot to set a flight envelope (bank angle and pitch angle) that they wish to fly within. When AEP is armed, the autopilot will monitor the bank and pitch angles of the aircraft and if the aircraft angles exceed the preset limit, the autopilot will apply pressure to the controls and move the aircraft back inside the envelope.

ECO Information

Eco is a brand new product created by TruTrak and Levil. It represents a completely new concept in how to fly an aircraft. Rather than using a standard autopilot servo which connects to the primary aircraft controls, ECO attaches as a secondary servo tab on the control surface (much like a trim tab). ECO also uses very lightweight, high quality, high velocity, metal gear, waterproof, miniature servos. By using commercially available servos, we can reduce the cost of an autopilot system significantly. The tabs are also sized such that at maximum deflection in the event of a servo failure / runaway the forces are easily over-ridable by the pilot. The photo below shows an example of a servo tab. The tab pictured is 10” long and 4” total width. The production servo tabs will weigh approximately 3 oz.

trueco2.png.abb1c37e09a631aa3b990b524f369b29.png

trueco.png.1d46b8b57971387eb72656dcf4a80cbe.png

trueco1.png.f0b89650880f2aacab8327dec21a2d84.png

Guest Andys@coffs

Well....it very much depends on your rego number doesn't it?

If your 19 registered then fill your boots. If your anything else then you have to involve the manufacturer in that discussion....and I would think that the idea of adding another trim tab wouldn't be done lightly by the manufacturer.......unless your prepared to move your rego from LSA to ELSA and even then that requires Techman approval and I cant see him just accepting your word that it will be Ok......

I think this is likely to be an area that will get attention in the future from CASA/RAAus and certainly from any in the know future purchaser of your aircraft......

Andy

Andy I certainly wouldn't do it without all the right approvals. 24 rego..

I might sit back and wait, but its just a really nice cost effective and low weight solution that I thought others in here may like

• Agree 1

The beauty of the Dynon system is that it has been fitted in many Alpi Aircraft so approval is a formality. One of my friends has a Trutrak with single axis (roll) servo attached in the same way as Alpi suggest and he is very happy with it. It still took a bit of effort to get it signed off.

This new product is totally different in its operation so I would be contacting Alpi first up to check with them.

The product itself sound like excellent value at that price but it may well go higher shortly, as they do say it's an introductory special.

• Agree 1

With a properly designed solid or flexible linkage, the servo could be mounted in the stabiliser or wing, reducing the weight out on the end of the control surface..

The Sonex plans already have a trim tab for the elevator, wouldn't be too hard to add one on an aileron for roll control.

The weight savings would be substantial over the Dynon servos I was contemplating

• Agree 1