The Facet Opal

I was fortunate enough to be invited to meet Dean Winton and the Facet Opal during my travels last month to Oz when I got down Sydney way.

The Opal is currently being re-constructed inbetween Dean's otherwise busy schedule and another promising aspect is that a 3rd year Uni Grad Student has taken it on for her thesis and will do structural and CFD analysis on it for suggested further improvements.

It's was good to see a legend in the flesh and together again looking complete compared to it's state, post accident.

1396535505_sadopal2.jpg.533c326c95333c1d04e46a32f5e4853c.jpg

1174515773_sadopal3.jpg.2213c26e91794920b53f47364646f9c7.jpg

528624723_sadopal4.jpg.95ca347123379ac62afeac89e575fc70.jpg

• Like 8

I have just received an email out of the blue from a fellow in Hawaii.

He says that around 1990 Dean Winton came to Hawaii and this gentleman purchased his one third scale model of the Opal, it hasn't flown in around 15 years but he is asking if anyone would be interested in purchasing it.

No idea of the price and no interest in the sale but he got my contact details from a post I put on another website so if you would like to make contact with this gentleman please send me a message.

Apparently the one above is the 1/4 scale one, the 1/3 scale had removable wings.

Hi, (Bex)

Yes, I took it over there , flew it on ford island. And sold it to some guy that flies models.

Sold for 500 US dollars

It only needed a radio to fly.

I wish I had brought it home.

Funny that!

Cheers

Dean