Sydney - Victor 1 / Harbour Scenic - Experiences?

I'm looking at doing the Victor 1 / Harbour Scenic from Camden in the coming weeks, and despite the formal reading and trying a few different routes into OzRunways, I would appreciate some experiences/advice from anyone familiar with it.

Do they ever offer a transit direct from Parramatta? Or is it always the long way round?

I'm looking at doing the Victor 1 / Harbour Scenic from Camden in the coming weeks, and despite the formal reading and trying a few different routes into OzRunways, I would appreciate some experiences/advice from anyone familiar with it.Do they ever offer a transit direct from Parramatta? Or is it always the long way round?

The best thing to do is get a copy of the Sydney Basin guide, probably pick one up from one of the schools or pilot shop around Bankstown or Camden if that's near you or see these links.

http://www.bankstownairport.com.au/Aviation/Pilot_Info/Visual_Pilot_Guide/Visual_Pilot_Guide_1.aspx

http://sportpilot.tv/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Flying-the-VFR-Coastal-Route-Victor-1-2013.pdf

http://www.iainhosking.com/flying/doc/casa/vpg/sydney.pdf

https://www.casa.gov.au/standard-page/visual-pilot-guides?WCMS%3ASTANDARD%3A%3Apc=PC_90007

http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/wp-content/uploads/VCA_hotspots_Sydney.pdf

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

You will get a free copy of the Sydney basin guide with every paper Sydney VTC. It needs to be read carefully. Victor 1 needs the occupants to be wearing personal floatations devices because at 500 feet there are times where it "may not be" possible to glide to land.

Depends on the conveyance of course.

For a VH registered aircraft lodging a flight plan would be a good idea.

For harbour scenic 1 you will always enter and exit at long reef VFR approach point. This is controlled air space inside Sydney Harbour above 500 feet. Below that you will be mixing with the odd seaplane on a different frequency.

I can PM my experience if it is of interest

• Like 1

You will get a free copy of the Sydney basin guide with every paper Sydney VTC. It needs to be read carefully. Victor 1 needs the occupants to be wearing personal floatations devices because at 500 feet there are times where it "may not be" possible to glide to land.Depends on the conveyance of course.

For harbour scenic 1 you will always enter and exit at long reef VFR approach point. This is controlled air space inside Sydney Harbour above 500 feet. Below that you will be mixing with the odd seaplane on a different frequency.

Please pm me ta

• Like 1

You will get a free copy of the Sydney basin guide with every paper Sydney VTC. It needs to be read carefully. Victor 1 needs the occupants to be wearing personal floatations devices because at 500 feet there are times where it "may not be" possible to glide to land.Depends on the conveyance of course.

Hi, please do PM me, all information is gratefully received.

Thanks for everyone's replies; it's one thing reading the official procedures and another knowing whether you can get transit/short cuts or advice on best way to get through.

Really looking forward to doing the flight.

Is it common to have a Harbour Scenic refused or is it the exception?

Hi, please do PM me, all information is gratefully received.Thanks for everyone's replies; it's one thing reading the official procedures and another knowing whether you can get transit/short cuts or advice on best way to get through.

Really looking forward to doing the flight.

Is it common to have a Harbour Scenic refused or is it the exception?

Ive never been refused but sometimes you will get extended holding at Long Reef depending on Controller workload and traffic. Make sure your Radio and Transponder are in good order as well.

• 3 months later...

Thought i'd come back with some feedback on doing the Harbour Scenic, which I've now done three times and will be doing it a few more times in the coming months as friends and family ask for it.

With all the research from here, the VFR guide and ERSA I was prepared to do it solo, however the school I rented the Citabria from encouraged me to go with an instructor (they didn't mandate, but strongly encouraged) the first time. I had very little input from the instructor, but did glean a few tips which made it easier.

So with a flight plan filed from Camden DCT PSP PRT HSY LRF HBB MANLY SECF, lifejackets and ELT in hand, I flew the route at 1500ft, called into Sydney Centre at PRT requesting harbour scenic, then before reaching LRF was transferred over to terminal and then at LRF was given a Harbour Scenic 1 (with another frequency change), direct to the Bridge performed the orbits and then requested Victor 1 South. Followed the harbour out at 1500, then after clearing the heads was cleared down to 500ft, and then onto the Victor 1 frequency. Chose to stay at 500ft up until SECF, but could have climbed slightly earlier. On the third time I did this route I was only cleared for Harbour Scenic 2, and then at Chatswood CBD they had a change of mind and cleared me to the Bridge.

Traffic wise, the first pinch point was meeting the traffic in/out of Bankstown between Prospect Reservoir and Pennant Hills. Going onto Harbour Scenic 1 you are of course well above the seaplanes and helicopters in the Harbour, however when you come out and descend into Victor 1 things get a little busier as you join the helicopter traffic (and anyone else on the route), the radio seems to get quite busy at that point working out where everyone is.

I feel that if you read the procedures, can use the standard phraseology on the radio, can hold a heading and altitude accurately then it should be quite straightforward. The ATC seemed really good, friendly and helpful.

Thank you for all the comments, particularly mnewbury.

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

I am probably going to be working in Sydney for a while soon, and I am keen to do Victor 1 and the scenic. Any recommendations for schools/clubs, preferably with a late model 182 (or maybe even a 200 series cessna so I can get some experience!). Decent instructor a must!!!

I am probably going to be working in Sydney for a while soon, and I am keen to do Victor 1 and the scenic. Any recommendations for schools/clubs, preferably with a late model 182 (or maybe even a 200 series cessna so I can get some experience!). Decent instructor a must!!!

Well I'm biased as I've only experienced one school, however I visited several and researched online before settling on that one, and that's Curtis Aviation at Camden. They have various well maintained 182's, very experienced instructors and seem to have a good focus towards private pilot training and those who want to develop skills (instead of an airline pilot factory with a group of 200 hour rayban wearing instructors).

Well I'm biased as I've only experienced one school, however I visited several and researched online before settling on that one, and that's Curtis Aviation at Camden. They have various well maintained 182's, very experienced instructors and seem to have a good focus towards private pilot training and those who want to develop skills (instead of an airline pilot factory with a group of 200 hour rayban wearing instructors).

Sounds like the place to go. In fact I think I have them recommended to me before by someone else.

I was planning to fly to Wings over Illawarra this year, but I think I might head down to Sydney first and get some instructed practice of the area first. Victor 1 is my main interest, but it would be handy to get a feel for the western routes through camden and bankstown as well with someone experience sitting next to you..