New area - how to know radio reporting points

Hi All,

I was flying in a new area yesterday (VFR) and trying to make radio calls based upon locations that were marked on my VNC charts so that people would know where I was. The problem was that local pilots were reporting locations on 126.7 (which covered a bunch of fields in the vicinity) based upon a reference point that I later found out was close to me, but not marked on the chart (it was on google maps, which i found later). So my question is, if i'm making a cross-country flight to a new area, is there a way to find out common reporting points in higher traffic areas? or should i add something to my transmissions to say i'm unfamiliar with the area? I did ask a local pilot before going but I only got broad information, so would be more specific in requesting info next time. But any other suggestions would be helpful. My fear is that i could be close to another aircraft but not know since i can't see their reporting location on my charts.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

• Like 2

should i add something to my transmissions to say i'm unfamiliar with the area?

Too right!. The radio is a communication device to be utilised for increased safety. Never be afraid to use it for that purpose.

By rights, if you are using the published reporting locations, you are doing the right thing. Use of these over-rides local custom. However, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. If some one calls up and gives their position using a location that you cannot identify, then jump back on the radio and ask for clarification. If you let people know that you are unfamiliar with their area, and don't want to endanger other aircraft, then you'll soon find out where Bill's old cowshed is.

OME

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Michael, broadly you really only need to give your location if you are approaching or leaving an airfield with intentions or are approaching an area where you have heard or seen other traffic in the vacinity and wish to make your presence known for safety reasons. Reporting stations are generally only at busy metropolitan airfields that have a Tower so the controllers can get all their ducks in a row. In more rural settings you should base your calls in relation to the airfield to where you are.

For example "Traffic xyz, jabiru 1234 inbound 10 miles southwest at 2500ft,traffic xyz"

From your post it seemed to me that you may be overthinking the situation and making unnecessary calls. Good airmanship dictates that you should only use the radio for calls that are necessary for the safe operation of your flight and leave the airways free for others to make the same necessary calls. A read of the Radio operators handbook will give you all the examples you need.

Thanks for the replies :-) yesterday I was flying from Gympie to the coast just north of Noosa and back, although I've also flown around the Gold Coast. In both cases, once in the area, you're almost always within 10 of an airfield but on a common frequency, and changing between airfield areas. Yesterday people were reporting on a location that wasn't on the VNC so I was a bit concerned - that area was within 10nm of an unmarked airfield (Teewa?) and Noosa, so I wasn't sure what the best calls were. In that case I called more than the minimum, but at least that way it let people in the CTAFs know I was close. Anyway, that's the reason i wanted to find out where these local locations were, in advance (if there is a way), to avoid unnecessary calls.

Cheers

Michael

Teewah township is on the VTC at the 65 DME BN, and I imagine replicated on the VNC. There is Ultralight and hang glider symbols also below the township, but my VTC is out of date.

Have a look at the VNC legend, shows VFR approach points (diamond) and reporting points FYI.

It is better to have your eyes outside the cockpit scanning for traffic, rather than spending minutes looking for a location on a map.

In any case, if they are reporting in the circuit and you are en-route (above 1000ft AGL) there shouldn't be any concern.

• Like 1

Great point av8- since I was at the top end (and above) from the VTC, I was using my VNC where Teewah isn't marked (it is on the VTC). There are the symbols though. Appreciate the input, will be able to prepare better next time :-)

M