A Super Lightning?

Guest ericthered1975

Guest ericthered1975

During World War II, the Lockheed developed a long-range version of its famous fighter P-38 Lightning, however, due to technical problems the project was canceled. The link below provides a collection of interesting photos of the plane and a question: If the plane had entered service, have reached the success of the P-38? What do you think? Visit the link, see the photos and answer this question through a poll at the end of the post.

http://aviacaoemfloripa.blogspot.com.br/2011/03/lockheed-xp-58-chain-lightning.html

Best Regards.

I didn't respond to the poll but I can't see a particular advantage of any feature of this design over something more conventional. The twin boom is duplicating structure unnecessarily and to carry extra payload the fuselage is the logical place to provide more volume for less surface area Nev

De Haviland made a super Mosquito, which I believe was called a Comet. (That made it comet no 2 out of 3) It was used for long range bombing, flown by pilots with very good navigation abilities. I think it was used to bomb a German heavy water plant in Norway.

A few years ago I met an old bloke who was piloting them in the war, he was an NCO not an officer, but at one stage he was very sick and put into an officers only hospital. That shows how much those pilots were valued. Sadly he moved to WA to live the last of his lfe with his daughter and I could no longer talk to him.

They did build a metal Mosquito with bigger engines. I think It was used off carriers. Nev

I think you mean the Hornet, Nev. Winkle Brown said it was one of his all-time favourite aircraft. "Overpowered perfection", if I recall his quote correctly.

rgmwa

• Like 1
  • Agree 1