Parachute deployment in New York

Looks like a positive result, the parachute definitely gives you more options and less likelihood of hitting trees at 70 knots or worse stalling trying to get over them...

• Agree 1

Outstanding result & no other option when flying over a built up area with no large open fields. Personally I have just ordered a Foxbat & am getting the BRS fitted to it, worth it's weight in gold, always nice to have options when things go pear shaped.080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Like 3

Guest SrPilot
Outstanding result & no other option when flying over a built up area with no large open fields. Personally I have just ordered a Foxbat & am getting the BRS fitted to it, worth it's weight in gold, always nice to have options when things go pear shaped.080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Well, the Cirrus MIGHT have been able to get into somewhere in the area - that I don't know, but the Foxbat could have landed under control and without the chute where the Cirrus ended up bent and bruised under a chute. Once the chute is pulled, not a lot of options. Just ride 'er down. Like your Foxbat, Bb, my A22LS has a chute but I tend to think of it as an EMERGENCY chute. If I have a place to land, I'll do that. Not all let downs are emergencies. I've landed on streets like the one he ended up beside, but I wasn't flying a Cirrus. The approach speed on a Cirrus is probably more than the speeds I used to put down in built up areas on three different roads over the years. (But in my case, my landings were planned, not emergencies - and fire trucks were standing by in case I wasn't as good as I thought). 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif They were also there when we departed, again demonstrating their concern about our ability to perform.

To me, the parachute is a last resort item because once I pull it, I'm basically just a passenger. The wind becomes the pilot and I don't know whether the wind knows what it's supposed to do or how to do it.

One of my mottos: Don't fool with - or depend on - Mother Nature. 063_coffee.gif.b574a6f834090bf3f27c51bb81b045cf.gif