fuel pump

sandman

Anjum - you might want to review this thread: http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/incident-13-may-15.136397/ and think about if you want to keep the aux. pump on all the time! It's the only time I've personally heard of such an occurrence, but those repco pumps in the early Jabs. (e.g. LSA55) should have been replaced some time ago, as they can't handle aromatics anyway - but Geoff's pump was obviously pretty new.

• Informative 1

Thanks Oscar. You have made me think twice now, after learning about Geoff's incident. Never thought of an overheated fuel pump / how it can be a fire hazard. Fuel pump ON at take off and then OFF seems to be the best bet, and then ON again during landing checks, in case one needs to go around :)

You guys are brilliant. I love this site. All of you are so experienced and informative. Good job Admin.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Interesting question. In theory, I THINK the answer is no, since if it is pumping fuel, then the fuel reaching it is below the vapour point, and it is adding pressure, so it shouldn't. But I think that if I had such a set-up I'd want to make damn sure the bypass line rises above the level of both pumps in the circuit.