First aircraft purchase

I am getting closer to buying my first plane but am still very "green" - can anyone help with two things :

1. Aircraft Condition Report

• Who pays for this buyer or seller?

• Is it usual practice to get one of these before making an offer?

• Any indication of cost?

• How best to find an L2 (interstate)?

2. Indication of cost to fit a transponder to a J160D

I have found over the years it's best to have the person you intend to maintain the aircraft do any pre-purchase inspection or ACR. I'm assuming you're not going to maintain the aircraft yourself, at least not initially.

They'd also be a good person to ask about the transponder.

As far as payment, I would consider it a part of the purchase cost. Any findings may then be factored into an offer. Make sure the L2 is certain the aircraft configuration agrees with the log books and they are up to date. I recently looked at an aeroplane, half of the nice "extras" mentioned in the sales pitch weren't entered in the logbook and the last entry for any maintenance was made 4 years ago!!

• Like 1

Hi Oz. To answer the actual questions:

1. Buyer arranged the UACR.

2. Cost should be very reasonable

3. RAA did have lists of L2's available online - haven't looked lately though.

It's fine to have the seller arrange a L2, but not all L2's are created equal, so a perhaps a call or email to RAA tech manager may put you in touch with a good one at the location you need!

• Like 1

Thanks OME - it's no wonder I now stay away from this forum these days...people now cruise forums looking for a barney?? Bloody hell...

In truth, you didn't actually tell him who is technically responsible for paying for a UACR or how to find a L2, so I guess it's a 'no'. No malice was ever intended for what it's worth...

1. Aircraft Condition Report

• Who pays for this buyer or seller?

• Is it usual practice to get one of these before making an offer?

• Any indication of cost?

• How best to find an L2 (interstate)?

2. Indication of cost to fit a transponder to a J160D

Ozfergie,

1. You are going to be outlaying a wad of money when purchasing a plane. If you were going to spend the same sort of monry on a car, wouldn't you invest in an inspection? Caveat emptor

2. Only wise men get a pre-purchase inspection. A fool and his money are soon parted.

3. Work on the hourly cost a LAME would charge for regular maintenance. Allow about 8 hours for the inspection of the airplane and books, plus the time to write the report. The big variable is the out-of-pocket expenses (travel and accomodation to the location of the plane)

4. L2 or LAME interstate is a hard one. Personally, and without meaning to offend L2's, I'd be asking a LAME with experience with the engine fitted, and experience in the method of construction of the airframe and covering.

OME

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

If the seller chooses the person doing the CR, There could be a suggestion of obligation for payment. Regardless of the CR YOU need to know if the plane is OK. If it's fairly rare thing you might have a problem getting the right person. An expert on type is a consideration but some can be a bit over the top on finnicky things, when basics and soundness are what is needed. Practical and thorough inspection required. IF the books aren't there or don't match be wary.Nev