Angel Flight - clarification on hours required.

Pearo

There was a bit of discussion on another thread regarding IFR hours required for Angel Flights. I sent to Angel Flight Australia for clarification, and got permission to post the response.

Thanks for your email - sorry for the confusion: I agree the wording of the pilot application form needs clarification and I have organised for that to be done.

You only need 250 hrs PIC, of which 20 hours can be under a recreational licence (RAAA or SAA). You do not need an instrument rating to fly as an Angel Flight volunteer. If you have the 250 hours PIC – that will have been carried out under the auspices of the CASA licensing system – your hours ‘under the hood’ as part of your initial licence, or commercial licence, are not relevant to us.

You need 5 hrs PIC on type for VFR flight. The ten hours on type (not necessarily under the IFR) for IFR flight with AF pax is not a requirement to register with us, but is only required for you to undertake IFR flights with AF pax on board – in that case, you need to hold (a) an instrument rating (b) endorsement on the machine you will be flying (or relevant class); and © ten hours on type. There is NO requirement for any particular numbers of hours under the IFR – only a requirement that you be very familiar with the type – hence the requirement that you have flow ten hours on that type, before you undertake an IFR flight for us. Any IFR ratings will have been examined under the CASA system, and that is sufficient for us.

So if you have the requirements for VFR flight (250 hrs PIC) you can register and undertake AF flights. Only if you want to go into IMC with our pax onboard do you need your ten hours PIC on type (and a relevant instrument rating). There would be no reason for you not to fly under the IFR (if you hold the appropriate ratings) on a dead leg, for example after dropping off the AF pax and returning home, subject to any relevant CASA requirements of course.

Setting it out as clearly as I can, it will be :

1.For ANY Angel Flight registration as a pilot – min 250 hrs PIC

2.For VFR flight – number 1 above; endorsed on the class of aircraft you intend to fly; AND 5 hours on type

3.For IFR flight – number 1 above; endorsed on the class of aircraft you intend to fly PLUS relevant IFR rating for that class; AND 10 hours on type.

All other matters are in accordance with CASA’s statutory requirements – such as currency, (90 day requirements etc), medicals, proficiency/AFR checks/ instrument renewals etc etc.

Hope this clarifies what was clearly a confusing statement on our site.

Regards