Lightning Ridge-Flying Visit

BJFly

Hi All,

Having never visited Lightning Ridge, and with a good forecast for the next few days it was into the Courier for an early morning departure from Childers. Topped up the tanks at Kingaroy, stopped at Moree for fuel and a brew, pointed the nose West and arrived at Lightning Ridge shortly after lunch.

Staying at the Wallangulla Motel, staff very helpful, picked me up at the airfield and have arranged a couple of tours. Certainly a sight to behold when approaching the ridge, the landscape is like a giant ants nest. Overall a good fly-away destination. I'll add some pics tmw.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

where are the pics Brett?

Hi Mark,

Tried to load a few when I got home late this afternoon, unfortunately a error"file to big" kept occurring. Will have a play with it over the next couple of days.

Smack on 10hrs of flying there and back. Interesting place to visit, and everything is easy for those who fly-in. Visited the Chamber of the Black hand yesterday and did a tour before departing today. Good feed at the bowling club.

Did some digging there about 1963. A mate who was the unofficial mayor of the place used to taxy his plane right up to the Pub. Great climate this time of year. I probably wouldn't recognise the place, today.