Private airstrip questions

correct me if I'm wronglast centuary about 1990 when there was a argument about ultralights lights landing in paddocks that they should use airstrips and it was said at he time that they did not need airstrips as any smooth paddock would do

I have seen it written some where that an ultralight aircraft does not have to use an approved ALA

on the proviso that it is safe to do so

I have a gut feeling that old that is old members 097_peep_wall.gif.dcfd1acb5887de1394272f1b8f0811df.gif at Holbrook will or can enlighten us on this subject neil

Neil,

How are you mate. ALAs as such are NOT approved, they are just dimensional guidelines published by CASA for a proposed Aircraft Landing Area. They used to be called ''Authorised Landing Areas'; back then they were not specifically 'Authorised' as such, they were deemed authorised if they met the dimensional requirements for the aircraft using them. For example an ALA that met the performance requirements for my Auster would NOT be long enough for a standard Cessna 172.

Any flat land (grass paddock or gravel or roadway for that matter) or piece of waterway can meet the requirements. Basically an ALA for a low performance Ultralight would typically be very short, but it should meet the clearance requirements spelled out in the CASA guidelines. We are NOT exempt everything and we are certainly NOT exempt duty of care or operational responsibility.

Most of the old GA tail wheelers were designed to land in paddocks. The old Austers only needed 150m and they used to land them in French paddocks during the war.

A general question about using private land for operating my Savannah. Specifically in the Adelaide area. Are there restrictions or what you do on your land is your business.Next question is does this change if I have one or two other friends use it as well.

Lyndon

Where is your property Lyndon? I have my Bearhawk at my place in the hills. My paddock fails every single ALA requirement. Plenty safe for a Bearhawk or Savannah though.