VHF Radio Requirements for RA-Aus Pilots

Hi guys, was just doing a practice exam from RA-Aus Pilot Practice Exams | RA-Aus Pilot Practice Exams for my upcoming radio operator exam when I came across this question:

"A serviceable VHF radio is required for operations at:

a) Outside controlled airspace above 5000 ft AMSL

b) In Class G airspace below 3000 ft AMSL or below 1000 ft above terrain

c) In reduced VMC

d) at CERT and REG aerodromes

e) All of the above"

Correct answer per the website was e - all of the above.

I haven't come across anywhere that states you must have a radio if in reduce VMC or in Class G airspace below 3000 ft AMSL or below 1000 ft above terrain. Is this true?

Rich

Rich

I would have said a and d never seen the others as a requirement but I would suggest a radio at all times

Aldo

• Like 1

DWF well done finding that,

It does seem contradictory as it says radio reqd at or below 3000'. That would mean every one is reqd to have radio, however studying the picture indicates that it is within 10nm of an aerodrome with instrument approach.

G'day PM

The requirement to carry and use a VHF radio on the appropriate frequency at or below 3000' or 1000' agl is for when you cannot meet the normal Class G airspace VMC requirement to be 1000' vertically or 1500m horizontally from cloud (but can remain clear of cloud and in sight of ground or water). If you can maintain VMC at or below 3000' amsl or 1000' agl, which ever is higher, you do not have to have and use a radio.

Yes, like a lot of the CASA rules, it can be a bit confusing.

However, in this case, the exception to VMC requirements is a good thing as otherwise it would sometimes be very difficult to conduct VFR flight.

• Agree 1

Yes but it does not state reduced VMC. It just states in G below 3000' etc. as one of the answers in exam. This not right.

Exactly right. It is frustrating when Tests are written in a confusing way. Our regs are confusing enough without having questions with official answers that, because of the poor way they are written, make students believe there are rules that don't exist.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

...."A serviceable VHF radio is required for operations at:

a) Outside controlled airspace above 5000 ft AMSL

b) In Class G airspace below 3000 ft AMSL or below 1000 ft above terrain

c) In reduced VMC

d) at CERT and REG aerodromes

e) All of the above"

Correct answer per the website was e - all of the above.

Rich

Looking at your post again I think that b) and c) would/should have been combined to read:

"b) In Class G airspace below 3000 ft AMSL or below 1000 ft above terrain in reduced VMC"

renumber d) to c) and e) to d) and it would all make more sense (and be more correct).

• Agree 1

RichLooking at your post again I think that b) and c) would/should have been combined to read:

"b) In Class G airspace below 3000 ft AMSL or below 1000 ft above terrain in reduced VMC"

renumber d) to c) and e) to d) and it would all make more sense (and be more correct).

Yeah, that makes more sense. There is nothing like an ambiguous question to test your knowledge :) I expect my coming exams to be full of them!