Rotax 912 narrow flat pin removal tool

What tool can be used for pushing out the molex type ignition pins (in thi case the mag / ign male pin) in the electrical harness. I redid on of mine and used a narrow screw driver but would like to get a propper tool for the tool box.

Cheers

Mike

You mean like a molex manufactured pin inserting tool?

Hi Mnewbery. Not sure I see a lot of the round pin tools but the rotax connector pins are a solid flat pin. when looking at then front on about 2mm wide and 1.2mm thick. I'll ring Floods on monday about availability. Just asking about any options out there. I got mine out OK but looking at getting a propper tool for future.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks

Trying to confirm the correct pin and therefore the right tool. I have 4 bits of info from when I crimped the pin and grommet as the Rotax maintenance misses this info as they in recent years upgraded the ign connection from a bullet crimp fitting to the molex type and this requires that the ign switch wires are crimped including a grommet. In the info I sourced refers to a diagram of a 'Hazet' tool with the ref 05813.

I also looked in the Califorian Power Systems catalog and I can find the part number but not listing of price or availability.

On Monday I'll give Floods a call as I'll get a tool to enhance my special tools.

Do you know if the tool in the link is for round or the squarish / flat pins? Thanks for you info.

Best Regards

Mike

Diagram says the flat end of the tool is 1.4mm wide

Hi Thanks. The actual pin is on the attached. I'll try and email the pin suppliers and ask what tools are used to extract the pins. The tool you have the link for looks about right. (I guess Rotax may be about $200.) Thanks

Mike

Doc2.doc

Doc2.doc

Doc2.doc

I use a piece of brass tubing the right size. You can get it from model hobby stores..its a K&S brand they come in 300 mm long. You just need to flatted the outside grab pins at the side and push then flat. Then a small piece of wire up the inside of the tube to push them out...a lot cheaper than the correct tool

• Informative 1

Thanks Mark, I'll do that for the round pins. Will the same work for the squarish pins of the rotax (new style) plugs that are on the ignition CDI's . I had to check one of my to grounf via the ign switch ones on Saturday. Got it out OK but want to get a propper style tool in my kit.

Regards

Mike

so long as the brass tube can push in the tabs (keepers) that come out the side then you can literally use anything. Its just the sizing. If it is the wrong size just fill the tube with solder and use a drill...maybe a number drill to get the right size hole. All these pin removers are the same really they just push the keepers in so the pin pops out. You can spend a lot of money on pin removers. I got sick of it years ago in my business I ended up making most of them. I find the main one I use seems to fit most connectors

• Like 1