Advice Sought Southbound between Camden & Bankstown

Hi All

Thinking about heading though to Cooma or Jindabyne very soon, I would like to knwo from people who fly regularly through this high traffic area.

I was thinking of taking the bankstown approach and then rather than turning left in Bankstown CTA, just climbing over the top of the departure lane and staying under the CL2500 , figuring in that area being higher might be safer due to the high traffic.

Any thoughts on land marks or best track through that entire area ... please dont say avoid and go west, as i actually want to go through this track for other reasons.

Im would also like to double check the frequencies used for each part of that section from say Central Coast to south of campbeltown

Many thanks for any input

I've not done an RA flight over the top of Camden and around Bankstown, only GA. It it my opinion that other air space users would really appreciate an indication of intent especially if there are glider operations at the expected time. Same story for the parachuting activities in the area.

It's possible to lodge a flight plan with an RA aircraft but not required. This may be of benefit. It will be a personal decision.

Can an RAA aircraft lodge a flight plan?

Also it's not mandatory to make radio calls in class G airspace outside of the scope of CAAP 166-1, AIP ENR 1.4 and associated documents (e.g when within 10 Nm of an airfield) but there are lots of airfields on the planned route and you'd be hopeful to not miss anything by not listening on the various tower or CTAF frequencies.

I think a planning meeting with a map and an instructor who operates in the area(s) will fill in the blanks nicely. Preferably an RA instructor. I would be happy to pay for the advice but again this is a personal decision.

It sounds like a non-trivial trip. I hope the weather plays nicely but a flight plan is just the start. I found it's extremely rare that I did exactly what I wrote down for various operational reasons but my alternates were all listed so I also had plans B-K before I turned the key. This helped reduce my anxiety as much as possible.

It's certainly worthwhile getting familiar with the Sydney Basin Flying Guide. It shows you the main features to look out for when flying through the area. It is free with the Sydney VTC. Most of the information is online at ontrack OnTrack | Civil Aviation Safety Authority.

The area frequencies are on the VTC, but essentially you're on Sydney Centre 125.8 coming down the lane until Dural tanks, and then Sydney Centre 124.55 for the rest. Aircraft into Bankstown will be at or approaching 1500ft at Prospect, so I'd think 2500ft is a good height to maintain. You will have departing traffic from Bankstown at that height, so you'll need to be alert, and traffic approaching Prospect from the training area. If you keep on a direct course in line with the lane of entry you'll actually fly straight over Camden. You used to be able to use the Camden NDB to fly down the lane until they removed it. Traffic at the VFR approach points to Camden will be at 1800. You can climb again before you reach Camden, there may be aircraft departing on climb. Keep Camden on your left. You can monitor Camden tower on 120.1. It would be unusual to make a radio call on tower frequency if overflying Camden.

Just what I'd do. I'm a relatively new PPL, but I've done most of my 100 hours around Bankstown/Camden and up and down the lane.

• Agree 1

If you get a Sydney VTC it comes with a supplement of the various lanes around Sydney (Sydney General Flying Guide). The VTC also includes all the area and ctafs you need.

You say you don't want to go to the west does that mean to the west of Camden or to the west of Katoomba.

If you don't want to overfly Cambelltown then I would come down the lane from Brooklyn Bridge to Prospect @ 2500ft. Veer right to the Camden (Mayfield) reporting point @ 4500ft and then track via Mittagong to the south. Take care between Bankstown and Wallachia as this is the Bankstown training area. South of the Oaks is the Oaks training area.

If you can overfly Cambelltown fly from Prospect to Horton Park (alongside the M7 - and marvel how a perfectly useful Airstrip can be turned into a mega warehouse) and the join to lane south to Cambelltown CBD. Then track to Picton and Mittagong.

You could overfly Camden but the gliding fraternity seem to like pulling circling high rate climbs over the strip so flying high over reporting points seems like a better deal.

The Sydney Flying Guide may be available on the CASA or Airsevices website.

Enjoy.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Once you hit Brooklyn bridge track direct to The Oaks, 212 degrees. it will keep you out of traffic except near Propect Resevoir but you should stay clear enough. Then track towards Mittagong to stay out of tiger country.