Hit a snag on v6 upgrade Stage 3

Admin

We have hit a bit of a snag in Stage 3 of v6. For anyone that is interested it is like this:

We have the main site Recreational Flying

We have the secondary site Aircraft Pilots

We have the shop

How it works is that all the software is installed on Recreational Flying including the shop software

Aircraft Pilots is an "Addon" domain

I allocate certain parts of the Recreational Flying software to only be available on Aircraft Pilots even though they are installed on Recreational Flying

Even though the shop software is installed on Recreational Flying it is only accessed on Aircraft Pilots

When a user registers, logs in or logs out, they are doing so using the domain that they are on even though their user information is stored in the Recreational Flying software database and the shop software database also on Recreational Flying

If a user registers, logs in or out on Recreational Flying they are automatically registered, logged in or out of the shop and Aircraft Pilots

BUT, if a user logs in or out of Aircraft Pilots, they are NOT logged in or out of the shop because the shop software is installed on Recreational Flying

This will cause a huge amount of confusion because a user will be confronted with the option to register, log in or log out and they won't know what to do, they may think they have to register but they are already registered

If I reverse the situation and make Aircraft Pilots the main site with Recreational Flying the secondary site the issue still remains but is reversed as it is with Recreational Flying and not Aircraft Pilots.

I have approached the developers of the multi domain system to see if they can help with why their software is not triggering the shop log in or out from the secondary Aircraft Pilots domain but I know they always charge an arm and a leg just to reply to an email

One possible solution is to do away with the secondary domain and just have everything on one site. The problem with that is the site would be commercial and HOW can I make it appealing to recreational aviators whilst also making it appealing to every form of aviation as well PLUS make the Classifieds and Shop stand out as a draw card.

I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do at this stage.

If you are interested you can see what I mean by having a play on the test setup at www.recflying.com.au which has the secondary domain www.aircraftpilots.net

If you register on recflying and log in, everything is good, you are registered and logged in to recflying, aircraft pilts and the shop. Logout and all good as well.

If you register and login at aircraft pilots the same doesn't happen

034_puzzled.gif.ea6a44583f14fcd2dd8b8f63a724e3de.gif030_dizzy.gif.fecc2d0d52af5722561e47dee1add28d.gif

I wish I understood a little more about how all this tech stuff works Ian then I would have something helpful to add but I don't but thought I would comment to try and cheer you up anyway:thumb up:

As it is will it affect new customers to the shop/clear prop or forum members that log into the shop? Most forum members would put up with more than a new customer inasmuch as they have already experienced the forum so are less likely to disappear whereas a new customer will happily click away and never look back if it is not right.

I think I used clear prop once a long time ago so I am probably not a good example of an all round customer (even though I may resemble round!)

Anyway why is no one else posting helpful thoughts? I am obviously rambling so I had better stop.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1