WA Newbie

Kdub

Hi Ladies and Gents,

Just joined what looks like a very informative and busy forum.

a little previous flying experience with a P28 however, life gets in the way and my aspirations to gain a pilots license had to be put on the back burner. Always thought I would want a full PPL but in reality chances are an RPL with NAV would more than suit my needs and who knows maybe have an aircraft of my own someday.

Now that I have the time and finances to do so, I am looking at getting on with it in the near future.

So any experiences of training schools in or around Perth would be much appreciated.

Regards Kev.

Hi Kev'

Welcome to the forum. I am not in WA but there are quite a few Perth members on this forum who will be able to help you.

They are a bit slow in responding because they are either airborne somewhere or watching the footy.

Alan.

Hey Kev

Welcome to the forum. Yes there are a few of us Perth based aviators on the forum though we are a little thin on the ground.

There's some great schools around these days..I've kinda done the same and had a break from flying and also had my time in the Warrior (and tomahawk!)

Might be a bit late notice for you but serpentine airfield are having their fly in day today, I'd say the weather will hamper most of us flying in but should still be a BBQ etc on.

Where are you hoping to fly from or are you still looking into schools?

Well actually found the cloud dancer site last night. Seems very appealing with a low training cost and modern aircraft that I could see myself owning/flying in the future.

Would have loved to have known. Myself and the youngest would love it.

Yeah myself and my oldest (shes 4 but loves planes) are heading there in a bit. Weathers cleaning so hopefully a few make it in.

Yeah cloud dancer seems great I'm sure some others will comment I fly with the Aero Club so have no direct experience with them.

Well actually found the cloud dancer site last night. Seems very appealing with a low training cost and modern aircraft that I could see myself owning/flying in the future.

My advice would be to train out of the city (at least initally). Perhaps a regional ctaf.

90% of the time it will be a straight taxi to enter and depart. More time in the training area and actual training.

Also a less stressful enviroment for basic instruction.

Plenty of regional schools about.

Certainly won't rule that out. Not to fussed about training at Jandakot as previous experience has been from an international airport with a lot of traffic.

Will have a look at further out though. As it would be nice to get full use of the initial hours building.

Hi Mate,

I did a PPL some time ago at Jandakot and have now transferred to and bought my own Microlight. I'm happy to have a chat if you you want to call (i'll PM you my number) it'll just be far easier than rattling it all into a long winded text, and also I can ask you some questions about what you want out of it, if that helps.

Hi Kev,

I'm flying with Cloud Dancer at the moment (actually was out there today!). The CFI and owner, Adrian is a great guy. Previously I did a bit of flying with TopFun up at Bindoon but switched over the Cloud Dancer just because I live close to YPJT and the drive to Bindoon (1hr each way, kinda worth it for the Bindoon Bakery however!) and Bindoon being in Pearse Restricted meaning they only fly weekends and public holidays was really making getting the conversion from my UK NPPL(A) done a challenge.

If you live North of Perth and weekend flying works well for you give Jack the CFI a call - also a great bloke. It'll be a fair bit cheaper up at Bindoon too.

Happy to answer any specific questions you have of either as I have experience at both.

Gav

Cheers Gav,

It is both those schools I am looking at. Jandakot is a bit easier with Bindoon being about an hour away. I didn't know about the flying limitations up at Bindoon. Ideally would like to do mid week flying to keep the weekends free for the family. So looks like Cloud Dancer is the way forward and then move onto one of the larger clubs depending on which way I want to take the license.

How far are you along with the NPPL conversion.

Cheers Gav,It is both those schools I am looking at. Jandakot is a bit easier with Bindoon being about an hour away. I didn't know about the flying limitations up at Bindoon. Ideally would like to do mid week flying to keep the weekends free for the family. So looks like Cloud Dancer is the way forward and then move onto one of the larger clubs depending on which way I want to take the license.

How far are you along with the NPPL conversion.

Finished yesterday! Paperwork now with RAAus, hopefully no problems! I didn't do nav in the UK so need to do that next here so if you end up at Cloud Dancer I may well bump into you. Have you completed a certificate/license elsewhere in the P28 or did you not complete?

Good Luck

Gav

With working away from home for years in the UK and the notorious Scottish weather never got a chance to finish things up. So now after moving to Australia with work, I have every second Friday off and am based in the office in Perth CBD more than half the year vs 9 months a year out the country. So a lot more opportunity to complete a child hood dream albeit 20 years later than expected.

Ultimate goal though is to build my own aircraft being an Aero gas turbine mechanic for the past 20 years.

I was working from the UK for a year when I learnt out at Clench Common in Wiltshire as I was living out near Bath so I certainly appreciate the UK weather problems, although I'm sure Scottish weather was worse again!

Sounds like you should give Adrian @ Cloud Dancer a call, go for a TIF and make sure you like him, his aircraft etc and take it from there. Let him know you've done some flying previously too.

Gav

Well actually found the cloud dancer site last night. Seems very appealing with a low training cost and modern aircraft that I could see myself owning/flying in the future.Would have loved to have known. Myself and the youngest would love it.

I got my licence with Cloud Dancer, I highly recommend them, ask for Adrian. Cheapest way to go about getting your RPL at Jandakot

Welcome aboard Kdub. Good to have another local pilot on the site. Have you tried RACWA at YMUL? Cheaper flying with no waiting for clearances etc. They have just purchased a brand new Sling 2 which should be there in November. My Yak is based there also. They do not charge landing fees for club aircraft either I believe.

Cheers,

Ant.

• Agree 1

• 7 months later...

Hey Kev

Wondering how you went with your flying? I recently "discovered" Murray Field and now do most of my flying from there - still with the aeroclub but they have a nice VH registered Sling down there which is much closer to RAA registered aircraft rates to fly (I havent flown it but it looks the goods)

Hope its all going well

Mike

Hey Mike,

Still not flying over here yet. As usual, everything else getting in the way. Fingers crossed though and soon. Got money burning a hole in my pocket and want to use it for flying rather than another classic bike lol.

Unfortunately Murray Field is a fair bit away, but I suppose it might be worth it if I am doing 2-4 hours in a day. Ideally I would like to get a few Fridays under the belt and brush up on my skills and obviously learn the type. But from there I would love to crack out a good chunk of hours in a condensed period once any exams etc are complete.

Don't like short bursts where possible, as you spend the first 10-15 mins of an hour lesson going over some of the things you never quite had the time to get comfortable with. Personally I would prefer to spend say 2-3 hours learning some key skills then have a lunch break before cementing the skills into the brain for a further hour in the afternoon type of thing.

No rush in trying to get the License in a low hour time frame. Would just prefer to master the beginning of the pilot career correctly and efficiently.

Kev.

I know the feeling re money and bikes!

Yeah just saw your profile says yr in Duncraig - certainly a bit of a drive, but if you do fly in some blocks Id say it could be a worthy contender - I know its saving me money in my flying due to the reduced taxi time and waiting for other aircraft at YPJT on busier days.

Next time Im heading out and have a spare seat Ill let you know if you want to come for a bash. Are you on the Perth Pilots FB page?

Mike