The pros and cons of flight instructing?

NT5224

We all owe a lot to the fine individuals who helped bring us into the fold as aviators....

Many of my former instructors I now rank among my friends. But I often wonder why they do it? I know young GA flight trainers are often building hours to further their aviation careers, but what about the blokes instructing RAA? Same thing?

Most of the instructors I've spoken to don't seem to make much money out of it (-but perhaps I'm wrong). So I'm wondering what motivates you instructor types to do what you do? Is it a sense of civic duty, ushering in the next generation of flyers, giving back to the sport -or are you adrenaline junkies who crave the thrill of white knuckle circuits in the hands of terrified rookie pilots? 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Do you see it as a way of improving your own flying skills and airmanship?

So, what are the pros and cons of flight instruction, and why do people keep stepping forward to train others, -particularly if there is little economic reward...?

Just curious

Alan

• Like 2

Being pretty enthusiastic about flying would be a good start as distinct from accumulating hours which after a while becomes academic, and not a suitable reason (and it never was). I've had thoughtful people say to me they wouldn't have the patience to do it. It's not everyone's cup of tea, nor are some temperamentally suitable. People don't part with their money to be insulted , for instance and if you are trying to show how superior you are, get another job. Teaching, (in all forms) is a very worthy occupation, but you stay where you are while students pass through to greater fields. You have to be able to accept that. Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

... but what about the blokes instructing RAA? Same thing?Most of the instructors I've spoken to don't seem to make much money out of it (-but perhaps I'm wrong). So I'm wondering what motivates you instructor types to do what you do? Is it a sense of civic duty, ushering in the next generation of flyers, giving back to the sport -or are you adrenaline junkies who crave the thrill of white knuckle circuits in the hands of terrified rookie pilots? 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Do you see it as a way of improving your own flying skills and airmanship?

Certainly I really enjoyed doing the instructor rating course and the subsequent instructor experience did wonders for my own piloting skills.For some years I was doing some part-time instructing at a combined GA/RAA school - would've been paid the same whichever numbers/letters were on the tail. Regardless, I'm glad that I don't have to work on the GA instructor award salary to afford to live and eat. Incidentally, I decided not to proceed with RAA instructing mainly because I didn't want to do much ab initio training at all at that stage of my life.

Did volunteer instruction with the scouts for some years but there is something wrong when my students drove to the airport in flash cars etc.

My motivation has always been to help people get into aerobatics, especially competition aerobatics.

Flying instructor is not a job for people who like flying - its a job for people who like people

Yes indeed. Doing joyflights you run across many different types/behaviours - some worthwhile and others just annoying. Students ... we all could write a book.

I can understand why some people like to teach flying or anything else for that matter and it has to be something they want to do.

There have been some things over the years that I could have tought, being expert at them. But I could never teach, tried it in the SES and it was just not my thing. So I take my hat off to those that do teach and as far as flying goes I had two really great instructors, who were hour building to get into the airlines. Great blokes and great instructors.

• Like 1

I've got a background in elite sports coaching (track sprint cycling, if you're at all interested ....) and love teaching skills and theory to people who genuinely want to learn. Plus, in an aeroplane! In terms of pay, it's better than working for Cycling Australia or the VIS .... believe it or not!

• Informative 1