Engine Monitoring System - iLevil - New Panel

Xavier

Hi All,

just a short post on the new panel built around the GRT 4000 Engine Monitoring System and the iLevil AW3.

The GRT4000 is sending all the engine data to the iLevil and the iLevil provides a WiFi server that any iPad / iPhone can reach to access Engine Data and Flight Data.

The iPad on the left is using the iLevil App providing Attitude indicator, Engine information with customised warning range.

The iPad on the right is for OzRunways / Xavion but they are all interchangeable.

All Engine Data is also available on the GRT 4000 big LCD screen with warning light and sound warning through the headset so the plane can bu flown with the ipads.

The concept is to have the Flight data and the Engine data coming out from a "Black Box" and then to visualised all the data on whatever tablet/phone/LCD is available.

If I want to use an iPad Pro in the future I don't have to change the black box, just the visual interface.

The cool thing about the system is now the ability to make your own instruments, just need to access the data from the wifi. I have done some test and using an ESP8266 micro controller with an LED panel we can see any flight/Engine data real time. (Photos and videos coming up)

The next project is to use to micro controller to transform the plane into a "Thing of the Internet", basically sending all the data to the cloud live and visualizing it with 2 seconds latency anywhere in the world (if internet connection available where the plane is situated). You can then have your mechanic on the ground checking up all your telemetry while you are flying the plane. (Photos and videos coming up).

A data logger will be designed using similar micro controller soon.

A really enjoy the safety of knowing that I will get a warning (Flashing Light & Sound) on any of the parameters I have setup (Flight / Engine) and I know that all the parameters are in the green in half a second.

Cheers,

Xavier

IMG_20161023_085325.jpg.fbcbe65bf57abc3a732b03eef13487de.jpg

IMG_20161008_092058.jpg.f0d1d8a16c44367a16e33f504a7b2414.jpg

IMG_20161014_110527.jpg.299673297c24ca04d8e86fb97f800f8b.jpg

IMG_20161014_174720.jpg.c922504593c5096626ec2ab2432e9680.jpg

IMG_20161020_152838.jpg.4fa1d5272d80fb0762049a9d6534d0ef.jpg

IMG_20161021_143237.jpg.75b876c0127caefc56fd432ba3ca9eea.jpg

IMG_20161021_143301.jpg.52a24c0f35350b68a09ffc74fc2ddf3b.jpg

• Like 2

Very flash...keep the info and pics and video coming... What was the GRT4000 worth...I know how much the Ilevils are

With all the sensors (EGTs - CHTs - MAP - Fuel Press - Oil Press/Temp - Fuel Flow In - Fuel Flow Return - ...) it was closed to AU$2,500 delivered.

Has it been flying yet with the ilevil system?

And if yes - does it seem to be giving accurate data.

I was looking at an ilevel and iPad as an instrument panel in front of the co-pilot but have read on another forum that someone there had lots of problems with ?accuracy with the ilevil or data transfer to the iPad. Not sure if that's a common issue or a one off with that person.

Hi Xavier, The panel looks impressive and I'm sure your saving weight, but don't rely on the iPads alone. Here's what happened to me while flying from Gawler to Temora for the Warbirds Downunder Airshow late November last year. Myself and the co pilot had 3 iPads between us ( iPad Air on the panel and each our personal full size iPads ). Abeam Hay approaching Griffith with surface temps around 45 deg all iPads overheated and shut down. Obviously noticed the panel mount first so we both reached for our tucked away ones, both turned on and within minutes crashed. Stupidly I didn't record cabin temp. which would have given me a reference.

One did return to life for a short spell after holding it over the fresh air vent. Fortunately I ALWAYS fly manually no matter how short the leg is unless I can see my landing point at departure.

What I'm saying here mate is have backup. Good luck with your mod.

Steve

Has it been flying yet with the ilevil system?And if yes - does it seem to be giving accurate data.

I was looking at an ilevel and iPad as an instrument panel in front of the co-pilot but have read on another forum that someone there had lots of problems with ?accuracy with the ilevil or data transfer to the iPad. Not sure if that's a common issue or a one off with that person.

I haven't done a long nav yet with the new setup but so far no trouble with data transfer between the GRT EIS and the iLevil.

Air data look accurate, haven't checked the Magnetic heading yet.

All alarms working good.

Hi Xavier, The panel looks impressive and I'm sure your saving weight, but don't rely on the iPads alone. Here's what happened to me while flying from Gawler to Temora for the Warbirds Downunder Airshow late November last year. Myself and the co pilot had 3 iPads between us ( iPad Air on the panel and each our personal full size iPads ). Abeam Hay approaching Griffith with surface temps around 45 deg all iPads overheated and shut down. Obviously noticed the panel mount first so we both reached for our tucked away ones, both turned on and within minutes crashed. Stupidly I didn't record cabin temp. which would have given me a reference.One did return to life for a short spell after holding it over the fresh air vent. Fortunately I ALWAYS fly manually no matter how short the leg is unless I can see my landing point at departure.

What I'm saying here mate is have backup. Good luck with your mod.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I agree 100% with the back up for the iPad, I tend to go hard on the redundancy and have a spare iPad, a Garmin aera 500 and a Garmin handheld gps.

If it all turn to sh*&t the paper charts are in reach.

The panel will get a "sun shield" over the ipads to keep the Darwin tropical sun away.

I have the GRT 2000 EIS in my StingSport.... works great, and although I love round gauges I have to say the GRT EIS is a much better approach.

It scares me to think how many people are flying around with Ipads. They are not intended for aviation use and as this post attests, they are prone to crap out at the worst possible moment.

If you want a really nice GPS, investigate the Ifly 740 from AdventurePilot. Brilliant bright display, easy to use, well supported, does everything but make you a cup of coffee.