Savannah nose wheel

rmorton

Is the Savannah nose wheel free to castor and steering is via the pedal brakes? Is there an alternative set up. What are the advantages and disadvantages of these systems?

Thanks

Richard

Savannah nosewheel is connected to the rudder pedals. Castering nosewheels are usually fitted to aircraft with a high landing speed, the disadvantage is that they are more difficult to taxi in cross winds and direction is reliant on differential braking of the main wheels.

The disadvantage of direct steering of the nosewheel is that it can effect the directional trim of the aircraft, leading to a wing heavy situation that can be miss diagnosed as a wing trim problem and is is incorrectly cured by fixing a trim tab on an aileron, another disadvantage is if the aircraft is "dumped" on the nosewheel in a crosswind landing situation the aircraft can veer violently and the nosewheel can be damaged, but for low stall speed aircraft a steerable nosewheel is far more convenient.

• Like 1

Savannah nosewheel is connected to the rudder pedals. Castering nosewheels are usually fitted to aircraft with a high landing speed, the disadvantage is that they are more difficult to taxi in cross winds and direction is reliant on differential braking of the main wheels.The disadvantage of direct steering of the nosewheel is that it can effect the directional trim of the aircraft, leading to a wing heavy situation that can be miss diagnosed as a wing trim problem and is is incorrectly cured by fixing a trim tab on an aileron, another disadvantage is if the aircraft is "dumped" on the nosewheel in a crosswind landing situation the aircraft can veer violently and the nosewheel can be damaged, but for low stall speed aircraft a steerable nosewheel is far more convenient.

Thanks for that explanation. Does having the brakes on the pedals cause any problems?

Already done HankAnother NEW Savannah XL on its way and worth every bit too..the extra leverage makes her much easier to steer on the ground and inflight its just a squeeze on the pedals now

Post #750

Mark :)

I will probably have to look into that too. I have size 12 feet and toe brakes scare me when the pedals are small. I actually prefer heel brakes for that reason (I am probably in the minority here).

But with extended pedals that will make it a lot more useable.