An alternative to Fibreglass......perhaps!

Onetrack, whilst your video is very interesting, let stay on-track with Lycra as an alternative.

I haven't done any more experiments as I'm busy creating my instrument panel. Apart from rebuilding my engine, the next job will be recovering the tail assemblies.

Yes, my apologies for the thread drift.

However, I fail to see the reasoning behind utilising a product known solely for its "stretchiness" and an ability to return to its original shape, where it is selected as the basic support member in uses where its stretchiness is of no consequence, and in fact, may work against the design of the item. 034_puzzled.gif.ea6a44583f14fcd2dd8b8f63a724e3de.gif

• More 1

Simply because it will flow nicely over whatever former one wants to use. Imagine my tubular wing, i.e., front and rear 'spars' (no D box), some foam ribs with the front half filled and shaped between them. A Lycra 'sock', half the size of the wing is then stretched over the whole thing and stitched into place. Now, resin can be applied as previously mentioned to form the semi solid skin around the wing structure. The original wing has alloy ribs that are slipped into pockets in the wing but are not fixed to the basic structure at all. The Lycra will attach to the foam ribs which in turn are stuck to the fore and aft tubes.

As I see it, this is a much cheaper replacement than new skins......up to $2000. I think I should be able to more than half that price. Lycra sells at about $35 per yard but covers twice the area. Work it out for yourself.

• Informative 1