Flying Lesson #15 - First area solo

Thanks guys :) I have to do a couple more area solos before I finish up my training. I'm really looking forward to these solos and put my knowledge and training to the test. The only thing Im a little bit hesitant about is joining the circuit, especially when we have two different runways in use which seems to be most of the time at Wollongong. It seems to be a trade off between runway with more favourable wind or fitting in with most other aircraft on the longer runway.

Keep your hand on the throttle after landing and brake with the right hand. Bitumen is smooth but on a rough runway you might find the throttle creeps on and you quickly have 2000rpm plus while trying to stop on a short rough runway. As usual, an enjoyable and professionally produced video. Keep em coming.

Keep your hand on the throttle after landing and brake with the right hand. Bitumen is smooth but on a rough runway you might find the throttle creeps on and you quickly have 2000rpm plus while trying to stop on a short rough runway. As usual, an enjoyable and professionally produced video. Keep em coming.

Glad you like them and thanks for the tip. I normally do that during taxi but find using the right hand for brake after landing pretty akward... especially with full stick back and aileron into the wind.

How do you keep ailerons into the wind? This is why I find the concept of the jab a bit clunky. Not that I've ever flown one

How do you keep ailerons into the wind? This is why I find the concept of the jab a bit clunky. Not that I've ever flown one

With the yoke of course! I usually brake with the left hand. But sometimes taxing I'll use the right hand to brake while using my arm to hold in aileron if required. It is a little awkward but you get use to it. Flying the Skyfox gaxelle a while ago was weird having to use toe brakes .... I guess it just what you are use too.

With the yoke of course! I usually brake with the left hand. But sometimes taxing I'll use the right hand to brake while using my arm to hold in aileron if required. It is a little awkward but you get use to it. Flying the Skyfox gaxelle a while ago was weird having to use toe brakes .... I guess it just what you are use too.

It is indeed, I had the foxbat absolutely nailed when I first learned, but now that Im used to a low wing, high wing loading Alpi, the Foxbat is a real handful. It blows around like a butterfly, which is ok, when you're flying it all the time. Partially caused by the fact my aircraft has to be one of the easiest aircraft in the world to land.

• Helpful 1

Yeah but he said to keep one hand on the throttle and one on the brake.. and one on the stick? You Jab Pilots sure need a lot of hands :p I'm guessing that's why the stick/yoke is shaped the way it is, so you can rest your arm in there and control the ailerons kinda while you are braking. It still seems a bit clunky to me! Is there a reason they don't have toe brakes?

Yeah but he said to keep one hand on the throttle and one on the brake.. and one on the stick? You Jab Pilots sure need a lot of hands :p I'm guessing that's why the stick/yoke is shaped the way it is, so you can rest your arm in there and control the ailerons kinda while you are braking. It still seems a bit clunky to me! Is there a reason they don't have toe brakes?

Yeah you can reach through and grab the brake whilst using arm to hold aileron for example. I guess its done because its cheaper than having toe brakes. Makes the turn radius on the ground pretty large when you don't have differential braking.