JABIRU MTOW INCREASE

Guest mak720

Guest mak720

Are there any owners of Jab SP6's out there who have had their aircraft 're-weighed' from 470kg TOW to 500 or 544 kg? Seems that these great little planes are extremely limited with loading and are therefore really a single seater with full fuel (85L tank behind seat) with an overnight bag. Any help would be appreciated.

Are there any owners of Jab SP6's out there who have had their aircraft 're-weighed' from 470kg TOW to 500 or 544 kg? Seems that these great little planes are extremely limited with loading and are therefore really a single seater with full fuel (85L tank behind seat) with an overnight bag. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't have a helpful answer but can you tell me i it has the same wings as the later model J 160? What is the difference between the SP5 and the other 55 reg models? Cheers - Frank

• Like 1

Talk to Jabiru

Think it has been discussed before and not possible

Builder can claim whatever mtow they want (up to 600kg) subject to flight tests and backing from kit maker

Yes, if I could second Frank's query - I have always wondered the actual difference between the SP500's which cruise at say 115-120kt when the likes of my SP470 which is largely the same airframe has a VNE of 116?

• Informative 1

Hmm... not sureI follow as the SP470 vs SP500kg MTOW is almost neck and neck. (I just gathered that the 500 just has an ironically crook useful load as it has the extra weight of the big six up front??)

Feedback from the RAA Tech team:

As the new owner, you can have a new weight and balance report completed demonstrating the aircraft’s MTOW at 540kgs. The amateur built category provides the owner with full responsibility and allows for aircraft to be registered up to 600kg MTOW.

I have thought the report will need to include justification of the inctreased MTOW claim

Without Jabiru support it's a big call

Obviously you still need to demonstrate 45 kts stall. The tail on some older versions ran out of authority at higher angles which limited MTOW