YNUB Nullarbor Motel airstrip: Info/advice please?

dsam

I'm thinking I might meet a friend who is travelling by land eastbound through YNUB, and air-tour the Head of Bight area with them in January. Does anyone have experience of this strip? Is Premium Unleaded available, or just Avgas? I've read the ERSA, AOPA, and Pilots touring Guide. Just wondering if anyone who has been there has specific recommendations prior to arrival. I've read the Fly Neighbourly 4 info from AIP. Anyone with advice? Thanks.

Landed there a couple of years ago and stayed overnight.

Avgas ok. Guess premium leaded ex bowser. Best to phone them.

Was alternate airstrip as border was out due water.

They have cross stip both dirt then and some surface water in parts.

• Like 1

I'm thinking I might meet a friend who is travelling by land eastbound through YNUB, and air-tour the Head of Bight area with them in January. Does anyone have experience of this strip? Is Premium Unleaded available, or just Avgas? I've read the ERSA, AOPA, and Pilots touring Guide. Just wondering if anyone who has been there has specific recommendations prior to arrival. I've read the Fly Neighbourly 4 info from AIP. Anyone with advice? Thanks.

I have flown into YNUB quite a few times,last time was was Ozkosh 2016. Avgas available out the back, PULP available from the bowser at the front.

Switch motor off at the side entry and drag plane to the bowser, when it is quiet enough to do so. You may have to wait while the campers and caravans fill up and move on. Borrow a milk crate from the fuel pay counter if you need to see into the wing tanks. Work quickly to get out quickly, some people don't register there is an aircraft at the bowser and just drive in behind you. Good if you have a mate with you to handle the curious ones while you get on with the refuelling.

You should have no problems, have a great flight.

Cheers

Rick

• Like 1

Strip was gouged out by wind & rain when I went through in October. Quite rough in parts with 'sand bars' in others. The taxiway, (formerly 04/22), can be very rough as the surface has been eroded by wind: but you may find it's your only choice in a rugged N wind. YNUB is a horribly windy location and can really test your skills. btw - don't use the N-S sealed road as they get rather upset about that. happy days,

• Informative 1

I last landed there about 12 months ago. It was a bit rough, dusty and windy but serviceable and has avgas and PULP.

Have overflown it twice since and it appeared to be OK from altitude.

Alternatives are:

Border Village 97nm west - not much, if any, better. The N/S strip is very narrow, stony and weed covered (last Oct).

Eucla 107nm west - used to be an RFDS strip with 4 runways. I have heard that the motel will come down and collect you from the strip.

Yalata Community 47nm east - sealed runway, no fuel, PPR. Probably only an emergency option.

Coorabie Farm 76nm east - good 900m strip, accommodation, friendly people, PULP available from Nundroo 9km N (you can usually get a lift there and back).

Nundroo strip is was not currently being maintained or serviceable as of last Oct.

• Informative 2