Public 'Airshow' or Private 'Fly-in'?

poteroo

The number of 'airshows' has dwindled in recent years. Issues of insurance, and CASA oversight are given as reasons: but are there other compelling reasons to avoid 'public' gatherings?

A public airshow requires that CASA be involved with full details of every display, right down to individual pilot experience. A 'display' pilot form is required. The airshow display zone is required to be several hundred meters away from any spectators, and display aircraft must not even turn over the crowd. All sound safety stuff. Sometimes CASA has been known to veto certain proposed displays, or require significant alteration of them. This has been one of the reasons that a 'non-professional' display pilot might quit an intended display: thus limiting airshow displays to the truly professional performer. This comes at a cost to diversity in an airshow schedule, and an increase in costs.

A 'private' fly-in will usually be held on private property - given that it's impossible to prevent the public from viewing a fly-in which is being held on/at a public airport. So, pilots need to be considerably more prudent if conducting any form of 'display' flying if the fly-in is at a public airport which will remain 'open' to both air and ground traffic. Over a private fly-in, pilots still need to comply with certain fundamental rules - it's not just open slather. Reckless operations are no more acceptable in private than public, and duty-of-care still applies. Pilots should be licenced, rated, or endorsed in all respects - (aeros, low flying etc). They should be truly competent to operate the aircraft, and to perform the flight activity (CASR 61.385) The 90 day currency rule also applies. Passenger carrying rule applies.

About the only thing that a private flyin offers is that CASA isn't involved - directly. But, whatever activities happen at a private flyin, you can be assured that CASA will act to investigate any 'complaints' or 'enquiries' about the flying that occurred on that day. And, you'd be surprised to hear that, sometimes, the enquiries' received by CASA are made by persons who were invited to the fly-in by an attending pilot. So, the moral of this aspect is: avoid inviting outsiders and non-flying friends-of-friends to a private flyin where some flying might be rather 'boisterous'. Be cautious!

But that's enough from me: what do you think? Some actual experiences with the repercussions from over exuberant flying at either an airshow or flyin would be welcome.

happy days,

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Nothing quite so judgmental as someone who knows just a little bit about aviation. You know the type, Raybans on head, ASIC prominently displayed on chest and newly minted SPL in pocket. "My instructor said....!" Those of us who have been around a little longer have hopefully outgrown the phase to some extent and come to realize just how little we know and just how skillful some pilots are. I know I still marvel at ag pilots, mustering pilots and many others who do things which to the uninitiated can appear risky or even reckless.

• Like 1

So, the moral of this aspect is: avoid inviting outsiders and non-flying friends-of-friends to a private flyin where some flying might be rather 'boisterous'. Be cautious!...But that's enough from me: what do you think? happy days,

In the early days of the Far North Queensland Ultralight Association, the majority of our fly-in`s took place here on my property, at Deeral and anyone was welcome to attend, however, we never put up any signs inviting the general public because by doing so, the fly-in was considered to be an airshow ( probably still the same) and an airshow had completely different regulations and requirements.

Those days have long gone!.. These days, I wouldn`t even consider a fly-in on the property, the legal implications are horrendous!

Frank.

One of the big problems with CASA and Airshows is that you provide them with the Risk Assessment, insurance, proposed routines etc three months before the show, but you will not get approval (or not) until the Friday night before the show starts on Saturday. The chance of financial disaster is too great to take that risk.

• Agree 2
  • More 1

We often practice aerobatics over registered airfields as well as unregistered ones, I rarely go below 1500 ft these days but some of the guys work much lower. May or may not be a NOTAM.

Contests normally have a NOTAM because of the intensity of operations and locals often turn up to watch because they know about it from news reports - not a public display although we do position the "box" to provide separation from where any visitors stop to watch.

We occasionally get invited to practice aerobatics at an airfield where someone is organising a BBQ so we take an interest in what info is made public. There have been some where we don't show up after seeing general invites to view aerobatic displays.

• Informative 1

Once you advertise to the public it becomes an airshow as far as I can see, unless you advertise to flying public that it is a fly in.

Old Station Fly in is fully under CASA controls, because there will be an airshow, even though it is on private property. The costs of complying with the CASA requirements are rising every year, due in large part to the amount of time which has to be spentproviding all the safety barriers etc.

The good news is that Old Station is on again this year at the end of May.

• Like 1